name of this part?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
does any one know the name of the part in the picture with a circle around it? is goes from the wheel to the pitman arm.

419521_358220417524121_100000084975404_1467150_1446462757_a.jpg

the bar is the tie rod adjustment sleeve, the little threaded arm with a ball joint is a tie rod...

okay thank you. another question. how do you get them off without hurting the threads? will a pitman arm puller work?

to remove the tie rod from the center link and lower ball joint, usually, i loosen the nut to the end of the tie rods threads, and hit the nut with a dead blow hammer...

Just sayin

okay, go to your parts store and ask for tie rods for your car, see what they give you.....i betcha 100 bucks you aint gettin tie rod "adjustment sleeves" with that same part number...so therefore, the tie rod adjustment sleeve, is not a tie rod...

If you are currently removing these parts from the car, then the pitman arm puller would be the tool to remove that arm that comes off your steering box and connects to the centerlink. (all the parts pictured are the parts that connect from that centerlink to your hubs which the wheels brakes are attached to.
They have a tool called a ball joint spreader, or separator.
If you don't care about the parts that are coming off, then remove the cotter pins, take the nuts off and smack the end of the threaded part sharply and it's out.

If you have to use those parts again you are totally right.
Backing the nut to the end of the threads protects the starting threads for the nut from damage.

to remove the tie rod from the center link and lower ball joint, usually, i loosen the nut to the end of the tie rods threads, and hit the nut with a dead blow hammer...

They are called tie rod ends, so I really don't know what else to say.
The parts store would call the inner or outer tie rod ends.
I'm not trying to start anything, it's just that he asked for the correct names of the parts.

okay, go to your parts store and ask for tie rods for your car, see what they give you.....i betcha 100 bucks you aint gettin tie rod "adjustment sleeves" with that same part number...so therefore, the tie rod adjustment sleeve, is not a tie rod...

If you are currently removing these parts from the car, then the pitman arm puller would be the tool to remove that arm that comes off your steering box and connects to the centerlink. (all the parts pictured are the parts that connect from that centerlink to your hubs which the wheels brakes are attached to.
They have a tool called a ball joint spreader, or separator.
If you don't care about the parts that are coming off, then remove the cotter pins, take the nuts off and smack the end of the threaded part sharply and it's out.
i took a hammer to it and it still didnt come out

We are both right due to old school an current terminology.
Lots of searches come up with both terms.

Lets just help this guy if we can ok?

haha okay okay!!! fineeeeee!! LOL

bigtommy, if ur not gonna re-use your tie rod ends, then just hit it harder, theyll pop out, or use a pickle pork

The rod on the left is the centerlink.
The one that has the ball end and the stud that goes through the hole is called the TIE ROD END:D (The right inner tie rod end to be specific.)

I have kids that I'm envolved with this evening so sorry if I lag here and there on response.

If you dont need to save thoes parts, hit it harder on the end of the threaded bolt part.
If you need to save the parts, take it to a shop and have them disassemble it for you.

Ball joint spreader, joint separator,,,,,,,I KNOW, pickle pork?
Sorry man, you asked for it.

haha okay okay!!! fineeeeee!! LOL

bigtommy, if ur not gonna re-use your tie rod ends, then just hit it harder, theyll pop out, or use a pickle pork

if i can save them i want to. so try the fork? and TrailBeast the car doesnt have a motor in or i would drive is to a shop for them too lol. i got it out before for the header to put in. just cant this time around, and if i did hurt it, any of you got some laying around for sale lol?

Ball joint spreader, joint separator,,,,,,,I KNOW, pickle pork?
Sorry man, you asked for it.

okay, so its not the correct technical term, but you can see where the name "pickle fork" came from....most people, not all, in the auto industry know a pickle fork as a "ball joint separator"

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&qe=cGlja2xlIGZv&qesig=UppNATnBL-dRJKENQUfu1g&pkc=AFgZ2tk4lz3e8nLYXs2rQmyQsg5rA45SNls8iMkVqkiMbs_f8vGppXqX043t6tMBEYBsOKNaKVcTixDyE9NLbSi12EPgylQptw&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=pickle+fork&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=702&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MDUiT4H2BqOSiQKWhoztBw"]pickle fork - Google Search[/ame]

-
Back