Name that noise.

-

efriedrich

69 383S
Reaction score
My completely stock 71,000 318 2 barrel makes a flutter sound/tick as the motor revs up. It is definitely coming from the top part of the drivers side of the motor, sounds mechanical. I have tried seafoam, marvel oil, and some other **** but nothing has stopped the noise. What is most likely and or some of the possibilities of the source of the noise. Motor runs great and does not smoke or burn oil.

i think what you may be hearing is actually a slight valve lash created by one of the following....a lifter losing it prime or on the verge of collapse. could be a rocker arm beginning to wear out. could also be a cam lobe wearing down. JMO i had this issue with a 68,000 mile 360. once i got new lifters and rockers, it went away

i mean, without being there it could be an exhaust leak, im assuming the exhaust manifolds have never been off. do you have a cat converter?

I wouldn't be surprised if it is exhaust. Take a piece of hose long enough to hold up to your ear and reach the suspect area and move it around until you find the leak, if in fact that's what it is. A 3 foot piece should be sufficient.

A poor mans stethoscope, LOL.

If it goes tick, tick, tick when you start it up cold and gets a little quieter when it warms up, most likely it is the lifters.

when converter bolts loosen it sounds like the bottom of the engine is falling out lol... happens to often to me...

-
Back