NAME THIS PART. ROUND 2

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok guys , this one may be a little harder !
I have a scatter shield & flywheel that I believe is for a GM . I think the flywheel is for a BB. Then to really mix things up is the aluminum adapter that will bolt a 833 to it. The center hole in the adapter is for the large front bearing retainer.
I saw a thread awhile back that I think was talking about this set up. Can anyone actually confirm this is what it is ,or not. Thanks in advance !
20220103_140424.jpg
20220103_140450.jpg
20220103_140545.jpg

the adapter is correct, have one in stock here. SB and BB flywheels are same except for externally balanced...even though you might want an 11" for a BB. GM scattershield it looks like because of the clutch fork pivot.

the adapter is correct, have one in stock here. SB and BB flywheels are same except for externally balanced...even though you might want an 11" for a BB. GM scattershield it looks like because of the clutch fork pivot.
What would you say the value of the adapter would be ! How plentiful are they ? I have not seen these before.

This is a Chev Scatter Shield I used to mount up a 350 small block Chev to the engine run stand.

Resized_20200705_163119_187.jpeg

See the bump out for the starter = small block
Your's does not have the starter bump out = probabably a big block bell housing ???

Resized_20200707_113429_8354.jpeg

This is a Chev Scatter Shield I used to mount up a 350 small block Chev to the engine run stand.

View attachment 1715847115

See the bump out for the starter = small block
Your's does not have the starter bump out = probabably a big block bell housing ???

View attachment 1715847116

Looks like a bump out here .
Might be different . I think the Flywheel is B/B so the bell probably is also. So maybe a matched set.

20220103_140440.jpg

Look at the outside diameter of your big block stamping of the scatter shield. It's more rounded.

This one here is for a small block, notice the peak at the top of the bell housing. And the starter bumps out more.

Would say you have a GM big block scatter shield there.

Screenshot_20220103-224959_Gallery.jpg

20220104_080814.jpg
I ran a Chrysler 4-speed behind a sbc in the mid to late 70s, and later behind a bbc in this Camaro. They both used this style adapter.

Also, the clutch used behind the sbc came from Don Carlton's pro stock car. As well as I can remember, it was a Borg & Beck style, green cover pressure plate from Chrysler. He would put a couple runs on one, then replace it. He would sell the used ones for $50. He did the same with the 14x32 Firestones for $50 a pair. I ran that clutch and one pair of slicks for almost 2 seasons leaving at 8000 rpm. The transmission, clutch, and tires worked perfectly all that time.

Last edited:
What would you say the value of the adapter would be ! How plentiful are they ? I have not seen these before.
the one I have was purchased 10 years or so ago. the fellow would not sell it separate from the trans which was in parts. trans parts included Liberty slick shifted gears and sliders, paid around $300 for it all. wanted the adapter to attach an A-body 4-speed to a Lakewood scattershield for an AMC...which hasn't happened yet.

View attachment 1715847248I ran a Chrysler 4-speed behind a sbc in the mid to late 70s, and later behind a bbc in this Camaro. They both used this style adapter.

Also, the clutch used behind the sbc came from Don Carlton's pro stock car. As well as I can remember, it was a Borg & Beck style, green cover pressure plate from Chrysler. He would put a couple runs on one, then replace it. He would sell the used ones for $50. He did the same with the 14x32 Firestones for $50 a pair. I ran that clutch and one pair of slicks for almost 2 seasons leaving at 8000 rpm. The transmission, clutch, and tires worked perfectly all that time.
Those Camaros back then sure did so nice wheelies, I imagine that was the most level the car would sit with the tires 16 inches off the ground.
Looks like there's 0 suspension travel up front though

Those Camaros back then sure did so nice wheelies, I imagine that was the most level the car would sit with the tires 16 inches off the ground.
Looks like there's 0 suspension travel up front though
And this was at Wilkesboro Dragway, NC, 1980, a track well known for being slick. I only remember 2 other cars that could hook up really good. The front suspension travel was limited because I obviously didn't need more weight transfer. In this picture, the rear is also lifted. It didn't sit that high at rest. Another Camaro by one of my mentors that looked like mine and also ran a Chrysler 4 speed with this adapter, but with 10.5 M&H Racemasters, Chrysler Super Stock springs and a pinion snubber. He would loosen the front travel and use softer springs at this track.

Last edited:
And this was at Wilkesboro Dragway, NC, 1980, a track well known for being slick. I only remember 2 other cars that could hook up really good. The front suspension travel was limited because I obviously didn't need more weight transfer. In this picture, the rear is also lifted. It didn't sit that high at rest. Another Camaro by one of my mentors that looked like mine and also ran a Chrysler 4 speed with this adapter, but with 10.5 M&H Racemasters, Chrysler Super Stock springs and a pinion snubber. He would loosen the front travel and use softer springs at this track.
What is adapter called?
I would like to sell this stuff ! Would it be best to list the adapter by itself?

What is adapter called?
I would like to sell this stuff ! Would it be best to list the adapter by itself?
Either way. I would just list as Chrysler 833 4-speed to Big Block Chevy Adapter.

Even back in the 1980s, most bracket racers had switched to automatics for consistency. I don't know what the market would be now, maybe nostalgia. I I wouldn't mind having it. But I would probably never use it. Garage wall art.

A833 trans to Muncie/BW T-10 trans bolt pattern for the adapter. Chevy bellhousings are same for SB,BB and quite possible 6 cylinders.

-
Back