Narrow Rear End

-
Cool,

You guys that have access to lathes... really piss me off... :-D

I'd probably never leave the garage if I had one. So many things to make and no equipment.

I had a guy spin those out for me. He used some scrap from a project for the pucks. Cost about $75 for pucks and the bar was $50 delivered. Beats the heck out of a $425 kit.

Only reason I have access to a lathe is because we have one here at school. I would like to have a narrowing jig because there are so many C-body 8.75's around here it's ridiculous. It would be nice to have all of those C-body rears turn in to A-body rears.

Last question for you is where did you get the bar from?

I just borrowed hardened shaft from work so I wouldn't have to buy it. If you would like I will check in our scrap bin at work from time to time. We throw it out every once in a while if we have a bearing go out and chew up the shaft a little. It will still be good for what you want it for. I would just charge you shipping. I'm guessing you need one around 60"?

I just borrowed hardened shaft from work so I wouldn't have to buy it. If you would like I will check in our scrap bin at work from time to time. We throw it out every once in a while if we have a bearing go out and chew up the shaft a little. It will still be good for what you want it for. I would just charge you shipping. I'm guessing you need one around 60"?

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Could I get a rain check on it for now? All my cars/car parts are 200 miles away, and I won't be getting around to the project for another month at least. And I still have to get the aluminum pieces turned, so that will take me a little while.

I'll probably be sending you a PM in another couple months to see if your offer is still good. I appreciate all the help and information.

Here are some I found on bigblockdart.com.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

http://www.speedymetals.com/s-101-turned-ground-polished.aspx

Pick what diameter you want, I used 1 1/4", and go. I've had bars as long as 60" and they really aren't necessary. I used to like the long bar for setting up both side, getting lengths correct. Really don't need it. So I went to a 48" bar which is plenty long enough do to one side up to about 63" housings.

Shipping was nearly as much as the metal itself.

If you have a hydraulic cylinder that went bad, that's another recycling spot/use for an alignment bar.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address, I can get you an excel spread sheet that I did that computes tube and axle lengths for Dana60 and 8.75 applications.

I bought one of these recently, pinion centerline gauge. Some places sell them for $40-50. Found this on racingjunk for about $24 + 10 shipping

Never used them before, may complicate things, but, it's stainless and pretty nice piece.

Axle.jpg

-
Back