narrow rim BAD wide rim GOOD

-

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
mischiefdart getting crazy with the cutting torch then improper use of a brake lathe final result two old narrow stock 14" rims become one wide rim

rim5.jpg

rim3.jpg

rim cut.jpg

cut rim.jpg

rim1.jpg

So a 4" rim became an 8"? Good news for me,as I have all kinds of 4" sbp rims. 9 at last count,so I could take 4 and make 2 8" wide rims + still have 5 4" rims left for the front!

Good idea,,a man has to improvise w/ what he has,,,I was wondering those 15" space saver spares are 4" ? I`ll check wifes car if she let`s me..

So now Im wondering where I would find the material to fill in the center and make a 10" wide rim. I guess mild steel pipe?

So now Im wondering where I would find the material to fill in the center and make a 10" wide rim. I guess mild steel pipe?

Speedway moters sells what they call wheel (shells) Buuuut....w/ only 12-5/8" inside diameter.. 8x15 10x15 12x15 14 x15...then you weld your centers in

I dug around speedway but not familiar enough with thier sight to find wheel shells.

I dug around speedway but not familiar enough with thier sight to find wheel shells.

Then type in (wheel shells)....If i ever make another set of wide rims,i would grab a pair of these....

same page scroll down to;( widening stock wheels ) see what " crackedback" has to say,,

Thanks got some results. Looks like a guy can build a brand new all steel 15"x10" with 4.5 bbp for $90 plus whatever shipping and taxes are.

Used to be able to buy em from stockton,but they are closed as of march this year.

But it stil leaves my original question unanswered,which was where could I get material to widen what I have?

Thanks got some results. Looks like a guy can build a brand new all steel 15"x10" with 4.5 bbp for $90 plus whatever shipping and taxes are.

Used to be able to buy em from stockton,but they are closed as of march this year.

But it stil leaves my original question unanswered,which was where could I get material to widen what I have?

Were talking 1/8th" thick material,,,diameter of pipe goes by inside diameter,,,,until it gets to 10" or larger then it`s measured by outside diameter...theres;10",,12",,16",,20"no half size..sch.40 pipe is 1/4"thick,sch.80 is1/2" thick and so on...i`ve seen sch.20 but then were talking duct ventilation...it`s rare,,,mostly galvanize coating w/ a seam.....STEEL PIPE won`t work...they don`t make it in the size you need for rims,,,

cost of each wheel 1/8th"x4" wide and have it rolled $26.& change,4ft. long..I used 5-1/2" rim..added 4"s came up with a 9-1/2" rim..Unless you like the look and extra weight,,,,i would add a little more$$ & go w/aluminium..

-
Back