Narrowed Rear end questions

-

lucky13

Tiny Member
Reaction score
I am picking up a 73 Duster and am planning on Mini-tubing it. I have already picked the wheels and tires out for it. I am gonna be running 325/50-15 rear tires on 15x10 wheels with 4.5" back spacing. The guy that I'm buying the car from is going to narrow an 8-3/4 for me, along with weld on spring perchs and a back brace. I know that the correct way to do it would be to have the car here and stuff the wheels and tires underneath it, then measure it that way. I just can't have the car sitting for a long time without a rearend underneath it in my driveway. Anyone have a duster/demon with a rear setup that is close to this one? I need to get a measurement from flange to flange. Thanks in advance for the help

Here,s what I did...I figured not wanting to run a 15x10 rim with 7.5 b.s,I narrowed my rear 3 inches each side giving me 46 5/8,housing end to end(A-body housing is 52 5/8).Now can run 15x10 with 4.5 b.s,ofcourse with minitub and 3 inch spring relo.Good luck.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I'm mini-tubbing and moving the springs. That rearend width was from your 66 Dart, right? Would that be much different to my 73 Duster? Sorry if its a stupid question, Im a newb to A body's

The 7.5" backspace on a 10" wheel is what my Duster has on it, mini tubbed with the springs relocated to the frame rail. If you want to run a 4.5" backspace wheel you'll need to shorten the rear 3" on each side. 29.5/11.5 M/T slicks were tight on the inside of mine. I rolled the outer fender lip and pushed the quarters out a little and had to trim the front and rear wheel opening. It's really better to measure everything on your car though. Just taking mine or anyone elses word for it could lead to a costly mistake. I also had Wilwood rear disc on it which pushed the wheel out another 1/2" so measure everything first, if you must, get a junker 7.25 rear to bolt in there for now so it can sit on all fours and keep the HOA nazis off you ***.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I'm mini-tubbing and moving the springs. That rearend width was from your 66 Dart, right? Would that be much different to my 73 Duster? Sorry if its a stupid question, Im a newb to A body's
Actually your wheel wells have a much bigger opening than my 66 Dart(I also have a 73 Dart Sport,but not minitubbed)I did alot of measuring and got help from members,before I had any cutting done.I,m running 15x12 rims with 29.5x12x15 Hoosier slicks,but is tight.Car hooks good now.LOL:thumblef:

I had Strange build my S60 4 inches narrower on each side so that I could run 3 1/2 inch backspace wheels, to avoid interference with the disc brake adjusters.

Hmm, I hadn't given much thought to the discs that I am gonna run in the rear.

-
Back