Narrowed truck Dana 60 snubber options or alternatives?

-

cawcislo

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to swap my 8.25 with a narrowed truck Dana 60 Into my 70 duster. The truck Dana has no provision for a snubber, any way to build a snubber for it, or what are other options, how are others managing? I was considering traction bars, but this car will live on the street 95% of the time and I heard traction bars are overkill and make the street ride worse with them on.

If you are going to the trouble of fabbing up a pinion snubber, for just a little more effort you could be different and put a torque arm on it. Small shackle on the front of the TA eliminates suspension bind and you still have street friendly articulation. I've built hundreds of TA's over the years, many slip over the nose of the housing and do not require welding or drilling for attachment.

Grant

My personal opinion only, but....
I wouldn't spend ten seconds trying to fab a pinion snubber, I've thrown away every one I've ever owned. If you're going to the trouble of swapping in a dana you must have some power. I would use a pair of super stock springs. If you want more, there is always caltracs, or ladder bars.
As for "traction bars", in my opinion they have none of the drawbacks you've been told, except maybe less ground clearance. A traction bar on a leaf spring car is just trying to keep the front segment of the spring from wrapping up, basically the same goal that the ss spring is after. The suspension under normal use still has the full range of movement, and isn't much stiffer, unless you have the t-bar snubber against the front spring eye. The summit brand t-bar works just fine. I've had a t-bar just like it on my small block 4sp car for 40 years.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not making huge power likely 400
Horse stroker small block possibly some nitrous at the track. I’ve got a 4 speed manual and trying to do a 8.75 was harder to sing and expensive and also heard they’re not so happy with manuals at the track so just went all the way and overkill with a Dana 60. Pinion snubber ponying down at the Dana is an idea. I have some old school traction bars I may try as well. I have SS springs but hated them my duster rear end was 50 feet in the air and I hated that look. Went back to the old slant six leafs that were there to start with. Obviously sacked out and wet noodles when you put some power to them.

-
Back