Narrowing a Dana 60

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
I have a Dana 60 out of a 69 Fargo to narrow build for my 69 dart.

For those that have been down this road before, should I:

1)Build my housing length to stock specs, then pick rims accordingly?

Or

2) Pick rims then build length specific to choosen rim?

As I have to option to pick whatever rim (17" or larger) with option 2, it seems more appealing. If option 2 is chosen, what rim sizes would you recommend I stick with? I assume there are certain widths & offsets that are more common across aftermarket rim manufacturers. I would hate to pick a certain rim for looks, only to find out later down the road it is an odd size and my options to change rim design are limited (I hope I am making sense)

I realize there are a ton of variables when it comes to this situation, and there aren't any fast answers. Input is appricated as I am sure many of you have crossed this bridge before.

Thank you

I have a Dana 60 out of a 69 Fargo to narrow build for my 69 dart.

For those that have been down this road before, should I:

1)Build my housing length to stock specs, then pick rims accordingly?

Or

2) Pick rims then build length specific to choosen rim?

As I have to option to pick whatever rim (17" or larger) with option 2, it seems more appealing. If option 2 is chosen, what rim sizes would you recommend I stick with? I assume there are certain widths & offsets that are more common across aftermarket rim manufacturers. I would hate to pick a certain rim for looks, only to find out later down the road it is an odd size and my options to change rim design are limited (I hope I am making sense)

I realize there are a ton of variables when it comes to this situation, and there aren't any fast answers. Input is appricated as I am sure many of you have crossed this bridge before.

Thank you
Mini- tubbing, offset spring hangers, frame rails, lots of things to consider im sure others will chime in...……..

Buy your rims/tires and mount them.
If you plan to mini tub, go ahead and do that.
Level and plumb the car.
Prop up the wheels in the wheel well to where you want them to sit.
With both wheels aligned with CL of car, and centered in wheel opening, measure inside-inside of the wheel bolting surface.
Subtract for thickness of rotors or drums.
This is your overall width of axle you want.
Narrow your housing, order axles.

-
Back