Narrowing an 8 1/4"

-

Vince Gillespie

Mopars Rock !!!
Reaction score
Hey folks ! I'm looking to narrow my 8 1/4" diff by 1 1/2" . I've searched the FABO , Bigblockdart sites and the web in general to find out what the lengths are of the axle shafts for an 8 1/4" but wasn't able to find that information . I have read that the pinion shaft is offset by 1 3/8" to the passenger side ..... so I was wondering if I located another passenger side axle shaft to be used on the drivers side and narrowed the drivers side axle tube by 1 3/8" , does this seem doable ? Is there anything I'm over looking here ? I know it's not the 1 1/2" I was looking for but I would be happy with th 1 3/8" if it would work . My Dart Swinger is just going to be a cruiser with a bit of attitude .
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and your help ! Vince .

just an idea. maybe contact summitt racine or anyone who sells dart parts and ask them what the standard length is for the axles. maybe research moser axles. im sure they would know

not 100% sure on this ,but I just built an 8.25 rear and passenger and driver side were identical for a body rear, unless you have a later model rear out of a Dakota truck what is the rear from?

Hey folks ! I'm looking to narrow my 8 1/4" diff by 1 1/2" . I've searched the FABO , Bigblockdart sites and the web in general to find out what the lengths are of the axle shafts for an 8 1/4" but wasn't able to find that information . I have read that the pinion shaft is offset by 1 3/8" to the passenger side ..... so I was wondering if I located another passenger side axle shaft to be used on the drivers side and narrowed the drivers side axle tube by 1 3/8" , does this seem doable ? Is there anything I'm over looking here ? I know it's not the 1 1/2" I was looking for but I would be happy with th 1 3/8" if it would work . My Dart Swinger is just going to be a cruiser with a bit of attitude .
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and your help ! Vince .

My question is, why?

8 1/4 has a odd spline count I don't think anybody makes short axle for it. why not cut a 9 1/4 down they are stronger they make axles for them and you can buy them with a posi 3.55, 3.91, or 4.10 at the juke yard cheap

Ya, I think the different length axles were in the pickups and all have six stud flanges.

IMO don't bother with the expense of attempting to shorten an 8.25 or 9.25

You should be able to find an Abody 8.25 cheaper than the expense of shortening one or even find an early Bbody 8.75 rear or an F, M or J body 8.25. Can find a Cbody 8.75 and have it shortened as well.

additional note: 8.25 and 9.25's are 'C' clip axles which would likely increase the cost of shortening the axles. Someone stated the axle spline count on the 8.25 was odd... it is 27 up to 96, 97 and up is 29 spline. And yes both axles are the same length A, B, R, C, D, E, F, M & J bodies to the best of my knowledge

Moser has for both the 8 1/4 and the 9 1/4 axles that does away with the Cclip's. They also have complete rear axles starting at about 2000 buck. I think you should be able to put one together for about 600 bones. The thing I like about the 9 1/4 is there cheap, strong, and ABS capable. You could maybe have some axles re'splined and save some money

-
Back