Nascar History Trivia Question - A little winter fun.

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
Ok, here is a trivia question from Nascar History with a Winter Motorsports twist; Yeah, I'm bored.

My brother went to see snowmobile races (real, not on the grass) on a road coarse back in the day. What Winston Cup driver was a regular at these races?

I think I have a good trivia question, be we shall see.

I would guess Matt Kenseth as well because he is from Wisconsin. Not sure if they ride sleds there or not but I know their neighbors in Minnesota do!!

Rich Bickle, Matt Kenseth and Kasey Kahne are all good guesses, but Kasey is too young. Also can't remember if there is a Road Course in the Minnesota or Wisconsin? (Hint, hint).

There is an early A-body connection as well. (Another hint)

No, that's what threw me. Only when i saw the NE modifieds did it click.

Geoff's early modified success was in his #99 early A Valiant Modified. It was a VERY cool race car. I just wish I could find better photos. Geoff's uncle Earl was a very successful local short tracker running a mopar slant six. His other uncle, Maynard was the wrench and they both mopar guys.

Is this one awesome 1st Gen Valiant?

Attachments

• 197199.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 190
  • geoffand99.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 182
Absolutely! Very cool pics. I would have loved to see that car racing. I'm not a big fan of that body still, but it looks like a natural in modified race form :thumbrig:.

View attachment 1714586967

What engine do you suppose is in this pic....evenly spaced exhaust?

Rick, I always thought he ran a small block mopar in that car, but that was an assumption on my part based on the mopar influence from his uncles. I will see if I can find out.

A lot of locals hated his uncle for winning so much with his Slant 6.

Rick, I always thought he ran a small block mopar in that car, but that was an assumption on my part based on the mopar influence from his uncles. I will see if I can find out.

A lot of locals hated his uncle for winning so much with his Slant 6.

I'm wondering what year that photo is from? 392/426 Hemi?

I'm wondering what year that photo is from? 392/426 Hemi?

Rick, he ran that car from around 68 to 72-73 I think. I will try to nail that down better. I as in the army 69-71, so missed most of it. Dutch Hoag and some of the other hot shoes ran Chevy 454s. I shudder to think that was a 454 in the Valiant. Yuk!

I've had a few BBC's years back Spike.....Shhhh, don't tell anyone...lol. It looks to me that the pipes exit the head at a little too much downward angle for a 454. I'm really thinking Hemi of some sort or god forbid, a BB Ford :violent1:.
Fingers crossed on the Mopar....:D.

Here are some more pics. Notice the rear wing and how everything was "moved back" on the car. Pretty forward engineering for the day on these modifieds. And... there she is in action.

There is a really nice replica of this car that was built by a local back in NY recently. I will post pics.

Attachments

• gb1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 141
  • gb2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 149
Lookey here...... Bodine in a Vega....uh oh...

Attachments

• 1Bodine.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
Lookey here......

Yes, that's the later Vega I believe. I think they were all the rage for awhile and then everyone started running Pinto bodies. The Valiant supposedly went to a good friend and fellow racer, Mike Casterline. I went to school with both these guys, but actually new Mike a little better.

The story is that Mike got the Valiant, on condition that he would "cut it up? (destroy it) when he was done with it. Geoff had moved up to a bigger team, but either didn't want the engineering to become public knowledge or else he didn't want to compete with his old car. I wasn't around much when all this was going on.

Attachments

• geoffand99.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 131
-
Back