Need 15" BFG size options for Dads 67 cuda

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess my redneck alignment didnt work so well last summer on Dads 67 cuda. Frickin passenger side tire is bald on the inside inch or so. Now I need to put a new tire on the front and may as well go with 2 new ones. Current size right now is 215/60/15, they are BFG Radial T/A's.
I would like to go slightly smaller as the one tire is VERY close to touching the fender when I turn the wheel.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

Might try and see if you can get the 195/60/15s. Got these on the front of my Dart to try to avoid the big front tire look.

Steve. the factory D70x14 (200/70x14) are 26" tall already, you have a shorter tire by 1" already on the car then the factory tire.
I would be looking at your strut rod bushings etc. I run 215/70x14 on one car and 225/70x14 on the other with stock steel 5.5" GTS/Formula-s rims.

I would like to go slightly smaller as the one tire is VERY close to touching the fender when I turn the wheel.

Ride height may be affecting how close the tire is to the fender on turns. I would adjust it with your existing tires before you make the decision if it was mine.

Sometimes raising or believe it or not lowering the torsion bars may fix this....

Thanks all! Looks like my only option at this point is 205/60/15 or the 215 I have on Iit now.I'll have to see when I get home tonight if anything udder it aint quite right or wore out.

Good point C bout bushings.
Johnny that is a great website!

edit: I meant thanks Georgie for the link LOL

I'm running a 205/60-15 on a 7" wide 4¼" offset on my 73 Dart. No problems under any circumstances.

Check camber on the wheel that's wearing strangely. A-body Mopars have a tendency to drag the inside front wheel when turning sharp and going quickly. This can cause the wear pattern you describe. Besides the speed of the turn, body roll is one of the culprits. Body roll can be minimized wit the help of an anti-roll bar.

I'm running a 205/60-15 on a 7" wide 4¼" offset on my 73 Dart. No problems under any circumstances.

Check camber on the wheel that's wearing strangely. A-body Mopars have a tendency to drag the inside front wheel when turning sharp and going quickly. This can cause the wear pattern you describe. Besides the speed of the turn, body roll is one of the culprits. Body roll can be minimized wit the help of an anti-roll bar.

Thanks, I just ordered the 205/60/15 today and took front rims n rubber into Canadian Tire so they can install new rubber asap. No idea what offset the Cragars are.
Front end bushings all look good. The car has maybe 6-7k miles since front end was done with ALL new stuff. I did notice that the strut rods dont have an even amount of threads showing, not sure if thats an issue or not. Also looks like the strut rods are missing cotter pins.
I believe the steel cups are facing the correct way?? Gonna chk into that too.

For ride height I took measurements before I took wheels off.
Drivers side(lowest part of fender to ground) 10 1/2" in front of tire and 9 1/4" behind tire.
Pass side(lowest part of fender to ground) 10 1/2" front and 9 3/8" behind tire.

It goes in Monday to Coyle's, a reputable shop for the alignment. Any camber/caster issues should be rectificed then.
There is a factory sway bar(good bushings) too.
Not looking fwd to the bill, BUT looking fwd to testing it out Monday.
I will also post pics and measurements once its done for reference/fyi

Thanks all for the advice!

Here's some more pics, chk out how close the tires are when turned.

Attachments

• 20150423_172400.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 20150423_172438.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 20150423_202317.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 20150423_202414.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 20150423_202326.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 20150423_202358.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 275
Make sure the alignment shop checks the driver side strut rod bushing nut. I don't believe a cotter pin can be installed with so few threads showing. It might be loose....

So you have a reverse rim with a wide section tire and the outside edge of the tire gets close when you turn ? I would think that you don't need to reduce the diameter but need to narrow the tread width. I run 25.5" diameter tires on rally's on a 67 dart with wheel lip mouldings and no problems but they are tucked in more than yours by the looks of your picture.

I always wondered how reverse rims would affect an alignment when they are going by factory specs. I guess the difference in track doesn't affect anything.
Btw are you around the Kitchener area?

that looks loose..

attachment.php

Man I love those rims. how much space at the rear of the tire? seems too close for a 24.7" tire

judging by the lack of space at the front of the tires I wold say the torsion bars are way out of adjustment of just too long ! Steve how much space do you have at the back of the tires ?

-
Back