Need 240V in the shop, is it already in this OLD panel box?

-
That circuit has been overloaded or the connection was loose.

^ This. Looking at it, it looks like the screw on the right side wasn't tight enough. The current flow causes heat. When the connection at the terminal isn't tight, it gets hotter than normal, which may anneal the wire, which loosens it, etc, repeat.

I have been a Union Inside Journeyman Wireman since 1991 and a Telco splicer for 22 years. If you are not sure of what you are doing, find someone who is. I would also move to a 100amp service with a new box in the garage. A small panel is cheap even if you don;t buy that "Homeline" garbage. Just my 2 cents. That's all it is worth.

I have been a Union Inside Journeyman Wireman since 1991 and a Telco splicer for 22 years. If you are not sure of what you are doing, find someone who is. I would also move to a 100amp service with a new box in the garage. A small panel is cheap even if you don;t buy that "Homeline" garbage. Just my 2 cents. That's all it is worth.

FB Marketplace and Clist are great avenues to get some nice panels already filled with breakers and all in excellent shape....

JW

IBEW journeyman wireman since 1989

-
Back