Need 727 trans help

-

Mopar Wizard

Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 727 out of a 70' 340 Dart. I have a front clutch drum with 6 springs and I have installed 5 of the Raybestos red clutch plates and Kolene steels. I also have the stock 3.8 lever. How much clutch clearance should I run on the front and rear clutch packs? I currently have .116 clearance front and .047 rear.

I aim for .012 - .015 clearance per Clutch Plate in the Rev/High Drum. So if you have 5 frictions in there total clearance between the snap ring & pressure plate would be .060 -.075 if using a flat snap ring as opposed to a wavy one. In the forward clutch I aim for .010 - .012 per friction as this is a non shifting clutch, it is permanently engaged in any forward range. With 5 frictions & a 3.8 intermediate lever I would be putting at least 10 return springs in the rev/high clutch drum, preferably 12. If you are considering a TF-2 reprogramming kit, remember to fit a billet aluminium spring retainer in the low/rev (rear) servo.

Like KD said, .075 for the front. How thick is the front drum snap ring. They come in a lot of different thicknesses. I would put a thicker snap ring in the rear also. .025 to .035 clearance. Kim

Like KD said, .075 for the front. How thick is the front drum snap ring. They come in a lot of different thicknesses. I would put a thicker snap ring in the rear also. .025 to .035 clearance. Kim

I think the front snap ring was .057 and the rear .074. I ordered a .106 and .088 which would put me at .067 and .033.

-
Back