Need a belhousing for a small block overdrive 833

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
od has a bigger bearing retainer hole...5.125 to be eggsack.

Just swap front bearing retainers. Then you can use a regular bellhousing instead of havin trouble finding a hard to find part only to pay somebody's BS marked up price for it.

the bolt pattern is to big on the od...it's the same bp as the hemi and bb retainer.you can cut the od retainer down to hemi size but you would cut into the bolt holes to go to the sb size.

the bolt pattern is to big on the od...it's the same bp as the hemi and bb retainer.you can cut the od retainer down to hemi size but you would cut into the bolt holes to go to the sb size.

Would you like pics? There are six different bearing retainers. I have everything out in the shop to do the swap. Don't tell me something that I KNOW. Just because you've read everywhere about people machining this and that, doesn't mean there's not another way, because there is.

Would you like pics? There are six different bearing retainers. I have everything out in the shop to do the swap. Don't tell me something that I KNOW. Just because you've read everywhere about people machining this and that, doesn't mean there's not another way, because there is.

i work on em too.no way to swap retainers and use regular ballhousing.

Wanna bet? I have a non OD small block bellhousing. 4.8 bearing retainer hole. Right from Chrysler. They made a ton of um.

regardless of the argument, i wouldn't mind seeing the pics. At the very least it might give me some ideas.

Just swap front bearing retainers. Then you can use a regular bellhousing instead of havin trouble finding a hard to find part only to pay somebody's BS marked up price for it.

you said "regular bellhousing"that would be the small retainer hole(307 front bearing) for a small block.
i don't doubt mopar made one but iv'e never seen one for the 308 front bearing...if so then tbone416 needs one of those and a bb retainer or a od bellhousing.

either way,i can't see that bellhousing you say they made tons of being any easier to locate than an od bellhousing.

The trans on the left is an A230 3 speed. Duster transmission. Nuthin special. Trans on the right, A833 OD. Notice anything funny? Yup, you guessed it. The 5.125" front bearing retainer that came on the OD trans is bolted to the A230. The 4.180" front bearing retainer that came on the A230 3 speed is bolted on the A833 OD. There is also a large bolt pattern 4.350" bearing retainer that fits the OD and the A230 that will correctly adapt the 4.350" hole bellhousing. I had one, but I gave it away to a friend so that he could bolt his 4.350" hole bellhousing to his A833 4 speed OD without having to pay stupid money for the "special" bellhousing. Pic number two is a standard 4.80" hole small block bellhousing. Nuthin special about it. They made a bajillion of them. There is NO need whatsoever to make stupid spacer rings or turn down an otherwise perfectly good retainer when the correct parts are available to do it RIGHT. I have done these swaps probably 20 or 30 times in the past. They worked fine each time.

Attachments

• BEARING RETAINERS 001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 345
  • BEARING RETAINERS 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 357
I need this bearing retainer swap done myself. Same deal as the OP.
OD trans

The trans on the left is an A230 3 speed. Duster transmission. Nuthin special. Trans on the right, A833 OD. Notice anything funny? Yup, you guessed it. The 5.125" front bearing retainer that came on the OD trans is bolted to the A230. The 4.180" front bearing retainer that came on the A230 3 speed is bolted on the A833 OD. There is also a large bolt pattern 4.350" bearing retainer that fits the OD and the A230 that will correctly adapt the 4.350" hole bellhousing. I had one, but I gave it away to a friend so that he could bolt his 4.350" hole bellhousing to his A833 4 speed OD without having to pay stupid money for the "special" bellhousing. Pic number two is a standard 4.80" hole small block bellhousing. Nuthin special about it. They made a bajillion of them. There is NO need whatsoever to make stupid spacer rings or turn down an otherwise perfectly good retainer when the correct parts are available to do it RIGHT. I have done these swaps probably 20 or 30 times in the past. They worked fine each time.

iv'e done it a bunch too...the bolt pattern on the 3 speed is for the small retainer...they started that in 73-4 somewhere around there so they wouldn't have a bunch of different size retainers.

you can bolt that big retainer to a non od trans...but that doesn't help the op out at all because it's the same size as an od.

you are bass ackwards in your thinking...no where in any of this did you explain how to bolt a small retainer to an od trans...because it's impossible...you'd have to bolt it right through the 308 bearing.

i can see in the pic of both transmissions that the bolt circle is smaller on the 3 speed than the od.it didn't come off an od,it came from the factory on the 3 speed.

If you do not understand how I solved the OP's problem, I don't know how to make it any clearer. You are just arguing at this point to try and prove yourself right when you are wrong and make things worse for the OP. There IS a small bearing retainer (4.80") bolted to an OD transmission in the picture above. I also told you Chrysler made a large bolt pattern small od (4.350") bearing retainer as well. I don't know how else to explain it. "I" am not backwards about anything. I know exactly what I am talking about and provided pictures. BOTH those transmissions in the picture ARE large bolt pattern front bearing retainers. The OD can now use the stock 4.8" bellhousing as it sits. How does that not answer the OP's question? He can even use a 4.350" bellhousing. All he needs to do is get a large bolt pattern 4.350" retainer....which they made a bajillion of and use it. At this point, if you don't understand that, then I cannot help you any further.

i can see in the pic of both transmissions that the bolt circle is smaller on the 3 speed than the od.it didn't come off an od,it came from the factory on the 3 speed.

You are absolutely delusional. The bolt patterns are THE SAME. The retainer OD is different. The 3 speed on the left has the LARGE PATTERN 5.125" OD retainer BOLTED ON IT. The Od trans has the LARGE BOLT PATTERN 4.80" retainer bolted on it.

ok...prove me wrong.take a tape measure and measure the bp on both retainers in your pic.if they are the same...I'm wrong...simple as that.

I'm not confused at all about this...you are.

I've already done all the "proofin" I'm gonna do. Maybe it's the large retainer on the three speed that's throwin you off. I don't know. But you are incorrect. I know what I have sittin in my own shop. lol

I would just guess that you two are arguing about two completely different retainers.

The OD transmission has a 5.125" bearing retainer, and a 4.16" bolt pattern.

"standard" 833's had a few different options. One was a 4.80" retainer with a 4.16" bolt pattern (308 bearing). Another was a 4.80" retainer with a 3.7" bolt pattern (307 bearing). And then there's the "A body" 833 with a 4.35" bearing retainer with the 3.7" bolt pattern.

So, you CAN swap a 4.80" bearing retainer onto a OD transmission, so you can run an OD transmission with a non-OD bellhousing. And you CAN swap a 4.80" bearing retainer onto an A body 833 to convert it from 4.35" to 4.80". Both of these are very helpful, because it means you can put an "A body" 833 or an OD 833 behind a big block with a stock bellhousing, since they had bells with a 4.80" register.

What you CAN'T do, is put a 4.35" diameter bearing retainer on an OD 833 and use an A-body bell with a 4.35" register. So, if you want to run an OD transmission, you need to have a bellhousing with at least a 4.80" hole for the retainer. Because a 4.16" bolt pattern won't work on a 4.35" bearing retainer, as the the 4.16" measurement is center to center.

what years did they make a large bearing 3 speed (230) ?? I have a bunch of those (67-74) and I have never seen one with a large bearing.

every OD 833 I have ever had had 5.125 large bearing.

not trying to argue with anyone, you all know me as one to not argue....but now you got me thinking and I would like more info :D

every OD 833 I have ever had had 5.125 large bearing.

not trying to argue with anyone, you all know me as one to not argue....but now you got me thinking and I would like more info :D

They absolutely would from the factory.

But you can buy (or find) a 4.80" retainer with a 4.16" bolt pattern that will bolt right onto an OD 833. I bought one to put an OD 833 behind a 383. :D

has anyone called brewers ?

They'll tell you the same thing. You can put a 4.80" bearing retainer on an OD 833 (mopar #P4529696). You can put a 4.80" bearing retainer on an "A body" 833 (mopar #P4529695). But they are NOT the same 4.80" bearing retainer. So you can't put a 4.35" bearing retainer on a OD 833. This is because there are two different bolt patterns for a 4.80" retainer, either 4.16" or 3.7". There is only ONE bolt pattern for the 4.35" bearing retainer, and that is 3.7".

So, if you want to put an OD 833 behind a small block, you need to 1. Have an OD bell with a 5.125" register OR 2. Have an standard bell with a 4.80" register and a 4.80" bearing retainer with a 4.16" bolt pattern (#P4529696).

What you CAN'T do, is put a 4.35" diameter bearing retainer on an OD 833 and use an A-body bell with a 4.35" register. So, if you want to run an OD transmission, you need to have a bellhousing with at least a 4.80" hole for the retainer. Because a 4.16" bolt pattern won't work on a 4.35" bearing retainer, as the the 4.16" measurement is center to center.[/QUOTE]

well said...the only small block bellhousings iv'e put my eyeballs on have had the small 4.35 hole in em or the huge od hole...and that's what i was talking about.i didn't even know for sure if there was ever a factory bellhousing for a sb with the 4.80....i have never seen one.

i have had a crapload of e-body 4 speeds all with the 307 bearing retainer for the 4.35 hole.

i just want the right info put out there...not a bunch of bs thats not going to help anyone.

as for the 4.80 retainer with 4.16 bp...they were on about every big block trans iv'e had and yes they bolt right up to an od.that retainer has the same bp and outer diameter as the hemi one.

I think I have one setting around someplace but I think it's just the housing and nothing else and I believe they take a different fork but don't quote me on that.
I used the housing off a 75 -- 318 with a 3 speed and the OD fit it just fine

Just tried to change retainers the two od's that I have the bolt holes don't line up with the 833 out of my challenger. I'm put the od in daily driver 70 dart so I would just like to have the right od bellhousing. THANKS guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back