need a cam. which one? help!

-

carkindaguy

Reaction score
i built a 360. i run pretty good. the engine builder told me the cam i picked is a little small for the heads i got. i was thinking of changing for a bigger one. i need help deciding on the best cam for my setup to make the most power. please help me out and give me some options. mostly street driven duster, 727, 373 dana, im getting a good dynamics stall soon somewhere between 3000-4500 stall.

la360
holley ultra dp 750 with 72 jets
eddy airgap
hughes cnc ported eddy heads, 2.08 intake 1.60 exh
hughes roller rockers
10:5.1
lunati voodoo hyd flat @ .050 (Int/Exh): 234/242 Lift (Int/Exh): .513/.533 LSA/ICL: 110/106
kb pistons
eagle rods
stock crank
tti headers
2.5 x pipe electric cutouts flowmaster 40 series

so tellme what cam you think might better suit my engine. i haven't had it dynoed yet but but my goal is 500hp.

Nice combo,otherwise. To do 500,requires a rowdy grind out of a 360.A solid flat tappet will get you there cheaply.A roller(both kinds)will be more streetable,but hurt your pocketbook.What are you willing to spend,what street driveability can you deal with?

I like the cam you have now.

what kinda power ya think im makin right now? if i switch to a solid flat which one would yall recommend to get me up to that 500hp mark? a hughes engines solid flat? a comp? a lunati? which one?

425 to 450 tuned.I would try it first,you have a nice combo.

what kinda power ya think im makin right now? if i switch to a solid flat which one would yall recommend to get me up to that 500hp mark? a hughes engines solid flat? a comp? a lunati? which one?

You make it sound like a life altering event that you hit 500 HP. Would you even be able to tell if you did? Do you carry around a dyno in your trunk? I'm not trying to be smart here, but usually when you see questions worded like yours it stems from inexperience. Trust me, you have a good combo now. I'll be damned if I would mess it up. It almost sounds as if you want to be able to brag in bench racin that you have 500 HP. If that's the case, just do it now, you're close enough.

Nice combo,otherwise. To do 500,requires a rowdy grind out of a 360.A solid flat tappet will get you there cheaply.A roller(both kinds)will be more streetable,but hurt your pocketbook.What are you willing to spend,what street driveability can you deal with?

Not really--I've done it many times--with cast iron cyl heads. I've used as little as 238 @ .050 in a hydro-roller up to 242 @ .050" hydro all the way up to 246 @ .050" in a solid roller. Always with a stock stroke.

p.s. I don't think you would see much improvement other than a bit of high rpm "pull" if you switched out what you have now. If you do--then go all the way to a roller. J.Rob

A Voodoo 60442 should make huge power. 251/259 Duration @ .050 .565/.586 lift 110/106 LSA

A Voodoo 60442 should make huge power. 251/259 Duration @ .050 .565/.586 lift 110/106 LSA

Nice choice. And I agree that the cam the OE poster has is a nice street cam but way short by 20* @ 050 for making a 500 HP run and at a min.

I also agree with Mopar and Stroker, but then again, you want what? That is the bottom line here today. Though I'd think twice. (Then again, I don't. LOL! :burnout: )

Your engine builder wants you to take advantage of the CNC ported heads with not just duration, but lift! This is why you spent the money on a CNC head. To get the most out of it!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-722322-08/ i.ve got this one in mine, it's a stroker 408 but i like it a lot top end is awsome. All though it is very cranky at idle, drivable but very attention seeking, need a 4000 stall too as i tryed a 3000 and no good.

That's a big block cam....just FYI.

If you are mostly street, I would leave it for a while and see how it runs. As far as cams (if you are going to change), I would go with something that takes advantage of those ported heads....like with ~0.600 lift and duration of ~250 @ 0.05...and make it a solid (no squishy cams).

Now if you didn't mind dropping some coin, I would STRONGLY recommend going roller....but most folks freak-out about the cost of those.

i ordered a 60441 from luniti new grind its not on there site..solid flat tapped..its a step down fron the 60442..just my two cents

-
Back