Need a grill!

-

340sixpack

Reaction score
Gas grill that is.Sick of this cheap charbroil that ruins all my steaks.What are you guys using?Not looking to spend a fortune,i collected on some parts and
have $350.00 to spend.Not after looks like those high $ stainless steel models,just something that cooks evenly without a fire every 2 mins.A half raw, half burnt steak is no good.Any suggestions?

I gotta tell you. I spent about 600 on my weber spirit. It's the smallest weber you can buy (around here anyway). It has plenty of grilling room and makes me look like a grilling genius. I am by no means an expert and there will be some on here who say that I wasted my money on the weber name, but I don't think so. my friends and I grill out every thursday and we use my weber every week. My roomates cheaper grill has not had the cover taken off once this year.

i hate to say it i got mine at walfart 3 years ago still works fine

I gotta tell you. I spent about 600 on my weber spirit. It's the smallest weber you can buy (around here anyway). It has plenty of grilling room and makes me look like a grilling genius. I am by no means an expert and there will be some on here who say that I wasted my money on the weber name, but I don't think so. my friends and I grill out every thursday and we use my weber every week. My roomates cheaper grill has not had the cover taken off once this year.

Ya, i suck at grilling,if they made one that timed and flipped it for me i would have it made.We have people over often and its depressing when i have there steak screwed up.I feed them as much beer as possible hoping they dont realize how bad it is.Lol.

i hate to say it i got mine at walfart 3 years ago still works fine

I had good luck with a cheap one there years ago,burners rotted out and couldnt get replacements.This one has been a pain in the back since it was
new.

I have a dented cheepo from Lowes and I have had it two years, I did not like the uneven heat areas when cooking steaks or hamburgers so I bicked up a extra grate and cook on it and it helped get the heat even :cheers:
And if I want to raise it I just put 4 stones under it to get it away from the flame $190

bbbb4 067.jpg

Your making me hungry Memike!I will check Lowes online,see what they got.Thanks

I bought a natural gas Centro, dont know if you can get them in the US or not I got mine from Canadian Tire here in Canada. Cost me about $400 but it has side burner and a fairly big cooking area. This time of year you should be able to get a good deal on one. Dont know if you can still get them with the cast iron burners anymore, but if you can get one with that they will last forever. Medium rare please!

Your making me hungry Memike!I will check Lowes online,see what they got.Thanks
They should have some at there store with some damage and this is the time of year to get a good deal :cheers:

Just a couple teasers for ya =P~ :toothy10:

bbbb4 080.jpg

bbbb4 072.jpg

bbbb4 082.jpg

bbbb4 070.jpg

They should have some at there store with some damage and this is the time of year to get a good deal :cheers:

Just a couple teasers for ya =P~ :toothy10:

Mouth watering is right!Yum!

Ok,you answered my next question,i see the name of the grill in the last photo.Thanks Memike.

No matter what Hank Hill says, you can't beat the flavor that hardwood charcoal gives to meat. I've got a cheapie gas grill for convenience but when I really want better taste, I use real hardwood charcoal (not briquettes) in a charcoal grill. Now I'm hungry.

No matter what Hank Hill says, you can't beat the flavor that hardwood charcoal gives to meat. I've got a cheapie gas grill for convenience but when I really want better taste, I use real hardwood charcoal (not briquettes) in a charcoal grill. Now I'm hungry.

We like the taste of charcoal better too,i just dont like the hassle.I grill alot in the winter and the gas is convienent,quicker and i use the upper racks for bread or other sides when i dont want to heat the house up in the summer.

I got a nice 4 burner Char Broil with a burner on the side at Home Depot a few years ago for about $250. You'd be surprised how cheap those things are around January. I've been very happy with it so far

I remember looking at the ones that was at the store and I picked the one I have becouse it is tall inside the cooking area :cheers:so if I wanted to slow cook some drunk chicken's I could with out them hitting the top lid.
The down side abought mine is that I can not move the cooking area away from the flame , But the extra grate I picked up took care of that.
That is a very nice grill, I was glad I had mine here at home when our power was out for 7 days when the ice storm came, I used it to cook and heat water for bathing:-D And I mad a big pot of chilly for the folks on the hill :-D

storm 139.jpg

storm 144.jpg

storm 147.jpg

storm 153.jpg

Mine is just a three burner inside the grilling area and a cook top on the right side, I use it to boil water for corn on the cob or a side dish

Mine is just a three burner inside the grilling area and a cook top on the right side, I use it to boil water for corn on the cob or a side dish

I got a nice 4 burner Char Broil with a burner on the side at Home Depot a few years ago for about $250. You'd be surprised how cheap those things are around January. I've been very happy with it so far
They get really cheap come winter,id burn the money up on one of the cars if i waited too long:toothy10:

I remember looking at the ones that was at the store and I picked the one I have becouse it is tall inside the cooking area :cheers:so if I wanted to slow cook some drunk chicken's I could with out them hitting the top lid.
The down side abought mine is that I can not move the cooking area away from the flame , But the extra grate I picked up took care of that.
That is a very nice grill, I was glad I had mine here at home when our power was out for 7 days when the ice storm came, I used it to cook and heat water for bathing:-D And I mad a big pot of chilly for the folks on the hill :-D
I do need to stick with one with a tall lid,cooking sides and all you need the extra room.Never thought of chile on there,i hate the wifes so may have to do that!

We like the taste of charcoal better too,i just dont like the hassle.I grill alot in the winter and the gas is convienent,quicker and i use the upper racks for bread or other sides when i dont want to heat the house up in the summer.

Gotta agree! I ONLY grill with hardwood charcoal since the taste is so much better. I've never used a gas grill.
I don't find any inconvenience at all. I use a chimney to start the charcoal over two pages of wadded-up newspaper. 10 minutes and the charcoal is hot and ready to go. I usually spread it our and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes before putting anything over it to cook.
We've got a twin-grate Brinkman I bought at Sam's Club probably 5+ years ago and it's seen use almost every week. Adjustable coal grate with a handcrank on the front of the grill lets you adjust the coals to the meat.
Let's see - what can I grill tonight?

Ya,i apparently failed at boy scouts in my early years at making a good fire.Not to mention getting carried away with the lighter fluid,i try to speed things up and all i do is lose eye brows.

No patience.Seen it done right,i just suck at it!

Ah the nightmare of the gas BBQ...... Upon the research I have found sooooo much crap about BBQ's that I dont think there is one that is worht its money at all.... however here is some things I look at.

I currently own a Brinkman..... its crap. Chinese made junk. The porcelin coated grills are crap. the porcelin heats and cools and comes off and then rusts horribly. The burners rust. Doesnt matter if its in storage or not... Brinkman has NO part for replacements... all the sites say they do and you place your order with the credit card and you later get a invoice with the part billed and stating... parts on backorder.... some have waited over a year for their parts and they have to come directly from China.

Duraflame.... made by Brinkman...only the cheaper version... I wont even go there.

Charbroil.... not the best on the market.... but !!! there are replacement parts redily available and very easy to work with !

Weber..... the new eber Spirit is a great BBQ.... however still a procelin plated grill which will fall apart after approx 1 year use.

Charbroil with a cast iron non coated grill gets a thumbs up for me.

Walmart.... uhhhgg.... now that being said. ..... We have a Sams club right near us that sells my next BBQ.... it is a Members Mark BBQ that... is still made in china.... but... after careful scutiny of this I find it to be more solid, have better controls, burners, and overall quality then most. It has heavy Stainless steel rods as a grill cooking surface. I have read a numerous amount of customer feedback on this and the worse thing I read was that(" the sheet metal seemed a little flimsy, but the cooking is great !)...

I checked parts availability on the Members Mark and Sams clubs have parts available if needed. Parts for them also avail on numerous sites that deal in BBQ service items.

So basically.. the more you spend.. doesnt really mean squat. They are all really junk... just have to find the best junk :)

the Members Mark one at Sams Club is aroun $400

The Charbroil with the Cast iron grill grates is around $300 and I have used one a few times and it is a decent unit.

all my opinons... but alot based on research.... use it as you will.

-RPM

Good post RPM!I forgot about Sams club,i need to check and see what they
have.Looks like you have been around the block a few times on this.And thats
just my luck too i spend a little more and still get crap!Oh well.Im looking into this Members Mark.Thanks for the help!

I've got a Charbroil that I dragged home from the neighbors about 4-5 years ago. The next day they saw the drag marks from the garbage area behind the house right up to my garage door, lol! They were glad I could make use of it. :)

Anyway, I tore it down, repainted it, put on new burners and a regulator/hose and it works great. :) I also used some high quality porcelain briquettes that really helped even the heat out. It's time for some more though...... They soak up grease and break down after a while.

I've got a Charbroil that I dragged home from the neighbors about 4-5 years ago. The next day they saw the drag marks from the garbage area behind the house right up to my garage door, lol! They were glad I could make use of it. :)

Anyway, I tore it down, repainted it, put on new burners and a regulator/hose and it works great. :) I also used some high quality porcelain briquettes that really helped even the heat out. It's time for some more though...... They soak up grease and break down after a while.

That is a good idea on the porcelain briquettes, I bet that turned out to be a dandy grill 8)

-
Back