Need A New Crankshaft

-

1969340dart

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy a new crankshaft.I want a forged steel one I do not want a cast steel crank.All the ones I have are already turned more than I care to mess with when everything else is going to be new except for the block.I am debating whether to go with the 4" stroker or stock 3.31 stroke.Depends on what a new stock one cost.I know the 4" forged steel eagles are $649.00 plus shipping.Don't know what the 3.31 cranks run. If I go with the 4" I will have to get new pistons and I already have a set of new pistons and H beam rods I had for the build. Anyone got a new crank laying around for sale!

Thanks

Bobby

Yea I have a couple but after close inspection they are turned down already one is .30 and will have to go another .10 and one is .20 and will have to go another .10 or .20 to clean up.I don't like getting past .20 personally.So I just want a new one.I don't want to scrimp with all the other stuff I have already. I am seriously thinking of going with the 4"stroke on this build and I have another 340 to do for another project and I will probably just stay stock 3.31 with it.This build is for my Blue 69 Dart 340 that is prostreeted and will see a little strip time from time to time. So I could use that extra torque. I really hate to spend the $$$$ but what the hell you can't take it with you.I already told the Wife I want all my 340 parts buried with me ! LOL But not the old cranshafts. I guess I am just looking for the best price on a crank and pistons for a 4" stroke.But If somebody has a REALLY GOOD 3.31 Crank reasonable I will take it also. And If somebody has the 4" stroke stuff for a .30 over 340 I will take that too If reasonable and you have decided to go another direction or hold offf on your build.All the stuff I have right now is going to the Machinist Tuesday or at the latest Wednesday.

Thanks

Bobby

What do you want to do with the new combo? Warm it up a little, Bracket race, Stoplight race, Weekend Wariror, or Daily driver? And do you have a little time to look for one?

Ebay # 140090325415, == It's a "cast" 4" stroker for $310
# 140082243396 == forged for $630 (both are plus shipping)

Both from the same vender. Looks like its gonna run you over $600 if you want a new stroked-forged crankshaft. May want to machine what you have for awhile and shoot for a new stroker a little later, and use your new pistons and rods in a completely different block.

Had a 73-340, for over 9 years. Never gave me a problem with a cast crank. Buzzed it up to 6700 a few times in the summer @ KCIR, not on purpose tho, lol. Pulled hard once I got traction. Didn't know what I was doing (except having fun) Best time was 14.21. Spun mostly thru 1st and not too much in 2nd. Wish I had it back! LOL, don't we all say that!

200 x 200 nov06.jpg

Another place to look for a forged 3.31 stroke crank is a '64 - 66' poly 318. I have a '65 poly crank in my Valiant. It need to be rebalanced because the poly pistons & rods weigh different than the 340 stuff but I suspect you are going to have your motor balanced anyway. Where I got mine was a buddy was putting a 440 in a '65 Coronet. I asked him what he was going to do with the old poly and he said I could have it because it was in the way. The ones from the pickup trucks will also work. The reason you don't want an earlier one is the torque convertor register is different than the later ones. Although you could have an early one machined out.

Chuck

I have a stock forged 340 crank. Never been turned, but I think it will clean up at .010, for sure it would at .20

-
Back