Need advice on buying a sandblaster.

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
Im looking into buying a sand blaster to strip the paint off my engine compartment after taking everything out. I would rather do this because ive heard it is much easier than using sand paper. Just wanting to know what grit I should use for the job and what kind of material to blast with? Also if you think that this blaster would be good for the job? or if you have any tips or pointers if you have blasted your engine compartment before. Thanks in advance!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34202

well....

I have bought my own sandblaster from princess auto, and it sucked and was a pain to use. Always clogging and my little compressor couldn't keep up. And it was messy

If i were you i would take it to a sandblasting place. This would probably be cheaper and easier than buying one. A few weeks back i got a truck cab and a box sandblasted at a place for 400 bucks.

Engine compartment should be like 100-150

Or you can buy one if you have a bigger compressor.......

thats the one i bought....sandblasted a couple of axle housing really easy with it...

hey me and my brother bought that sandblaster and its not that good it quit working and was clogging alot before it stopped working after we just sandblasted he pickup cab. i would recommend getting a good one if you can afford it but most tool rental stores have sand blasters thats what we ended up doing.

I do have a big air compressor. Just looking to do the job as cheap as possible. Thanks for all the input so far.

Im have a Central Pneumatic 110 lb blaster and I love it. I am using 70 Grit Aluminum Oxide to clean up my engine bay and also the factory undercoating from the entire underbody. I just got started and dont have any pics yet. Heres a little tip for when you get started, go buy a cheap little kids plastic pool and put it under the engine bay. It catches a lot and saves a TON of time cleaning up. $6 for the pool was worth 10 times its weight in gold. Good luck!!!

Im have a Central Pneumatic 110 lb blaster and I love it. I am using 70 Grit Aluminum Oxide to clean up my engine bay and also the factory undercoating from the entire underbody. I just got started and dont have any pics yet. Heres a little tip for when you get started, go buy a cheap little kids plastic pool and put it under the engine bay. It catches a lot and saves a TON of time cleaning up. $6 for the pool was worth 10 times its weight in gold. Good luck!!!

Good tip on the kiddie pool! I bet they will be cheap now that summer is almost over!

I have that same sandblaster it works great as long as you get a screen to filter your sand. Even the best sand will have pieces larger than expected that will end up clogging the tip, and causing headaches. I got a filter from eastwood and just screen the sand as it is poured in. Never had to stop since.

For a few dollars more you can get the 110lb one!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95014

You would spend less time refilling it. The smaller one like I have , needs to be refilled often. For sand I just buy the 80 grit sand at the lumber yard in 100lb bags. It only costs $8 a bag.

Wow $8 a bag is cheap. I was looking at the 110 lb one it would be ideal. Im going to be buying one of these reall soon I plan on having my 340 ready to put in my duster within the month. Sand wont damage the metal but is not good on aluminum correct?

I use glass bead on aluminum or something not as harsh as sand. Harbor Freight charges big bux for their sand. The local lumber yard here has pallets of the stuff cheap. The sand from HF is a little higher end, but they both get the job done about the same.

One thing no one has mentioned is that using SAND to strip pain can create heat and WARP METAL.

Get a blaster that can be used with SODA and sand. Use the SODA on sheetmetal, and sand on heavy parts (rear end housings etc)

The 110 lb can (not sure about the other one). Also uses walnut shells, glass beads,etc. Ive always used aluminum oxide for stripping metal. I used to borrow my brother-in-laws and finally just bought one.

I read the manual on the 110lb blaster from harbor freight and it doesnt say you can use soad in it.

What the heck, give it a try. toolmanmike

I'd rather not take the chance in blasting the engine compartment with sand if it is going to warp the sheetmetal. The cheapest soda blast I could find is from eastwood and its like $259.99 plus shipping.

You can use soda with the central pneumatic with an attachment. I got mine through work wholesale and paid $49 for it. Not sure how much they are retail though.

I meant to try soda in a blaster that doesn't mention it in the instructions.
Soda isn't abrasive enough to cause heat or warpage. That's why the pros use it on body surfaces. Try it on an old fender or metal toy b/4 you turn it loose on your car. toolmanmike

One thing no one has mentioned is that using SAND to strip pain can create heat and WARP METAL.

Get a blaster that can be used with SODA and sand. Use the SODA on sheetmetal, and sand on heavy parts (rear end housings etc)

If you do use sand for blasting,be sure to use a very good respirator,or some kind of breathing mask. The dust from the sand has "silica" in it. When exposed to for a long time it can cause "silicosis" which I believe is a form of cancer,in any case its not good.
I just found this out for myself recently because I did alot of research and bought a sand blast cabinet from Harbor Frieght.Its a cheap made in china cabinet,but it gets the job done. I'm using the 70 grit glas beads and so far it works good.
Good luck!!

You can use soda with the central pneumatic with an attachment. I got mine through work wholesale and paid $49 for it. Not sure how much they are retail though.

Any idea on where i might be able to get this attachment?

I located some they are 150 dollars almost be better off just buying a soda blaster from eatwood.

I dont see how you can warp the metal in the engine bay blasting with sand. As long as you dont hold it in the same place forever I dont see it as a problem. Its the large panels (like door skins, quarter panels, fenders and roofs) that you have the warping problems.

I do have a big air compressor. Just looking to do the job as cheap as possible. Thanks for all the input so far.
I've got a big compressor too and an ample supply of sand left over from the stucco job on my house and garage that I filter through a screen mesh (screen door type). This is the blaster I bought http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95793 it works really well, but you will spend a lot of time refilling it for a job as big as yours. I have only done valve covers and intake manifolds with mine.

I bought a kit from a place like harbor freight a long time ago. All it is is a sandblast gun with a siphon tube. You fill a bucket with sand, put the siphon tube in it, connect to compressor and you're blasting. Actually works rather well. No clogging problems. I've used it to remove rust from a wrought iron patio table a few times before repainting. done a few small car parts too. If memory serves me correct I only paid around $15 for it. Bought bag of sandblast sand at a tool store. Best of all it goes back into its box and back into my tool box. doesn't take up any space.

-
Back