Need advice on used parts purchase.

-

a34

The Etowah Flash
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a friend that got out of the mopar hobby years ago, but has a barn full of parts. He made me an offer to come buy them, but I'm not sure what it's all worth. I want to make an offer that's fair to him and at the same time I can make some money on for my efforts. I have a 71 Demon and after I get what I need for that car, I want to sell the other stuff rather than see it go to a crusher. He is not the kind of guy to list online and let people come over and buy.

He's about 4 hours away, so taking into account my gas hog hemi truck, trailer and a saturday of loading rusty parts and then trying to sell at car shows, internet, etc, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Here is what he has, please tell me your opinion on what it's worth in today's market. I'm not looking to hit the long ball here, just get what I need and move the other stuff fast.

Parts list:

Several 4 speeds with shifters (Hurst) and bellhousings. He didn't say what these were, but he was mainly into 67-9 Cuda's and maybe had a duster. NO 18 splines for sure.

automatic transmission or two - he does not say what type

8.75 rear end w/o axles, several axles

some blocks and cranks - probably mostly 273's. Does anyone even want those?

360 long block rebuilt - since it's been in the barn for years, I don't know that that means much.

Complete 361 2 barrel - another boat anchor?

67/68 Barracuda hood

Some trim parts and several A body dashes - all in need of restoration.

After talking to him for six months about doing this, this is the most complete list of stuff I can get. Forget pics, he's not into that. So, what are your thoughts on this stuff?

Thanks !!!

Well,you are not talking to a novice.I'm sure that he has been down this road before.Maybe you are the first to ask to buy his parts-but I doubt it.Go to all the E bay sold parts list,and all the ads on this site and moparts.Be as informed as possible and as realistic as possibleIf you count your time as anything then you had better get a good deal on them.4 hours one way means you will have a full day for one load-12 hours.You have to load and unload.Sounds like you will have mostly saleable parts,but they don't go without some shipping time or some meeting time.Good Luck which ever way you go but understand that it is not really a sellers market right now.

Of course to those that need it, it is pricless.

Not to be too nosey here but what price has he quoted you (PM your reply if you don't want that public knowledge)?
There sounds to be all good stuff in the dwindling used parts availability that for the right price and a bit of patience it will all resell.
I started keeping most everything offa any mopar that I crush for the past 10 years or more and the selling of what I considered extra or "Spare" parts supported me for a year.

Just remember - a year after you sell it, you will need one and they will cost 4 times what you sold your better one for.

Just my $99.99 cents worth.
Later,
Bruce B.
Call anytime neighbor! 478-320-1154

Of course to those that need it, it is pricless.

Not to be too nosey here but what price has he quoted you

Have not really decided on a price, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It is a lot of work and we all know the pains of selling stuff.

Thanks fellas !

I wouldn't offer a whole lot - it's pretty much a buyer's market and most people seem to think you should give the parts to them and ship them for free. I did 20 swap meets last year and I can tell you one thing - it's very frustrating and time consuming and unless you're just giving your stuff away you'll end up loading it up and taking it home with you. Then there's the guys on the internet and Craigslist . . . . . . . Draw your own conclusions on that one. :eye: Personally I don't think you could get more than $50-$100 for the engines or transmissions unless they're something special (steel cranks and 833s would be more), A little more for the axle housing if it's for an A body (Bs and Es are still pretty cheap). Not many will want the axles because they're probably all small bolt pattern. Dash parts for A bodies are pretty cheap, too. Most people won't buy large or heavy stuff at swap meets any more and don't even want to pay what something actually costs to ship it. If you have a lot of storage space and don't mind humping heavy steel around for a couple years go for it if the price is right. I've got similar stuff right here - some of it I've had for 30-35 years now :yawinkle: . . . . . . . . Anybody want a rebuilt 3 speed Chevy truck trans I've had since 78 ??? :sign5:

I wouldn't offer a whole lot - it's pretty much a buyer's market and most people seem to think you should give the parts to them and ship them for free. I did 20 swap meets last year and I can tell you one thing - it's very frustrating and time consuming and unless you're just giving your stuff away you'll end up loading it up and taking it home with you. Then there's the guys on the internet and Craigslist . . . . . . . Draw your own conclusions on that one. :eye: Personally I don't think you could get more than $50-$100 for the engines or transmissions unless they're something special (steel cranks and 833s would be more), A little more for the axle housing if it's for an A body (Bs and Es are still pretty cheap). Not many will want the axles because they're probably all small bolt pattern. Dash parts for A bodies are pretty cheap, too. Most people won't buy large or heavy stuff at swap meets any more and don't even want to pay what something actually costs to ship it. If you have a lot of storage space and don't mind humping heavy steel around for a couple years go for it if the price is right. I've got similar stuff right here - some of it I've had for 30-35 years now :yawinkle: . . . . . . . . Anybody want a rebuilt 3 speed Chevy truck trans I've had since 78 ??? :sign5:
Hey buddy;how do you find all these cheap bastard threads??Don't get upset-just joking!!!

The only thing that I seen that maybe higher dollar items is the Hurst shifters and four speed trans. To me seems like a losing money deal unless you get it for scrap prices $200 to $400. I know around my parts its really hard to sell anything cars or parts. I really think people would like to buy but most don't have money and the one's that do normally don't buy rusty dirty parts unless they are rare parts.

4 speeds about ~200$ (each)
automatics- 904 75$...727 150$
360 long block 300$ (cause it's been sitting)
361= boat anchor material= 50-75$...
8 3/4 rears range from 100 to 500 depending on various features, A-body housing worth more/ 742 or 489 pumpkin/ sure grip etc etc
Barracuda hood could bring about 250$ to 300$ depending on condition
273 steel cranks you may get 100$ (maybe more) blocks ??
this is all just my best guess as to what some of this would bring at an AVERAGE swap meet. MOPAR NATS....who knows? All IMHO.

Hey buddy;how do you find all these cheap bastard threads??Don't get upset-just joking!!!

Well, I'm still looking for that "cheap bastard" thread you guys were talking about a few days ago. Doesn't matter, though - looks like these threads pop up all the time around here. :evil4:

That 64 Chevy truck trans is still for sale - I sold my boat years ago and don't need an anchor anymore. disgust

Ooooo 87 posts - might make a hundred by the end of the month. :yawinkle:

I talked to my friend, all the tranny's turn. One he knows for sure is from a '67 273 car. A couple of big block 727's. A pair of sb a-body headers and sb mickey thompson valve covers. A few sets of magnum 500 wheels and some ralley wheels -all need restoring. Some a/c compressors including a underdash a-body a/c setup. A couple of the clusters have tachs in them. A box full of fm convertor's - wouldn't been handy 20 yrs ago. LOL.
Several sets of hubcaps and trim rings. A couple power and manual gearboxes.

$ 1500.00 for everything. If you can take your time selling it off.
Engines and transmissions are a pain to store, and move.

Thats because sellers at swap meets generally think their stuff is worth it's weight in gold. A body driver quality dash clusters for $150. 833 tranny's for $700. Duster bumpers for $400. You walk around the swap meets and it's obvious why no one is buying parts. It's mostly junk people pull out of junkyards and they think they found hidden treasure. So if a guy tells you he'll give you $50 for your A body dash cluster and you tell him to F off, then who is the bad guy? He'll say you were asking an arm and a leg for it and you'll say he wants it for free.

When pricing parts I'll look here, moparts, ebay and craigslist to find out the real value. Moparts is the most expensive. Ebay and craigslist are up and down and this place is pretty stable other than a few guys who think their $50 parts are worth $500. Swap meets are practically useless unless you find the guys that are just cleaning out their shops to make room.

I had a guy around here at a swap meet with 100's of rallye wheel center caps. All were driver quality or pulled out of junkyards. I had a later center cap with the circle in the center and needed one of the earlier 70's ones without the circle. I asked him if I could swap mine for one of his since he had so many, he wouldn't even notice. He basically told me to F off. If I didn't want to buy one from him then I don't need to be wasting his time. I was like isn't this called a SWAP meet? No one wants to help each other anymore. It's all about how much money you can get from someone.

Well, I'm still looking for that "cheap bastard" thread you guys were talking about a few days ago. Doesn't matter, though - looks like these threads pop up all the time around here. :evil4:

That 64 Chevy truck trans is still for sale - I sold my boat years ago and don't need an anchor anymore. disgust

Ooooo 87 posts - might make a hundred by the end of the month. :yawinkle:
Hey, who left the door open and let the Rumbler guy wander in?? :)

Thats because sellers at swap meets generally think their stuff is worth it's weight in gold. A body driver quality dash clusters for $150. 833 tranny's for $700. Duster bumpers for $400. You walk around the swap meets and it's obvious why no one is buying parts. It's mostly junk people pull out of junkyards and they think they found hidden treasure. So if a guy tells you he'll give you $50 for your A body dash cluster and you tell him to F off, then who is the bad guy? He'll say you were asking an arm and a leg for it and you'll say he wants it for free.

When pricing parts I'll look here, moparts, ebay and craigslist to find out the real value. Moparts is the most expensive. Ebay and craigslist are up and down and this place is pretty stable other than a few guys who think their $50 parts are worth $500. Swap meets are practically useless unless you find the guys that are just cleaning out their shops to make room.

I had a guy around here at a swap meet with 100's of rallye wheel center caps. All were driver quality or pulled out of junkyards. I had a later center cap with the circle in the center and needed one of the earlier 70's ones without the circle. I asked him if I could swap mine for one of his since he had so many, he wouldn't even notice. He basically told me to F off. If I didn't want to buy one from him then I don't need to be wasting his time. I was like isn't this called a SWAP meet? No one wants to help each other anymore. It's all about how much money you can get from someone.
I don't know I have been to Turlock-Pomona-Indy-Carlisle-St Louis-Atlanta-Salt lake city-Columbia-ETC.I have been on both sides of the fence,It costs money to take parts to a show and you can listen to all the stories of-my brother this and my sister that.Everyone knows that you are there for the big dollar parts for little or no money.Did you offer to give the guy some gas money?Because you do know that it took gas to get there right?It also takes money and time to go to the junkyards.He probably was out in the junkyard pulling parts while you were sucking down a gusto or making whopeee to some babe.I'm not knocking you but help your brother out.It shouldn;t be so one sided.

I've been doing swaps a long time now and only in the last few years has it deteriorated to what it is now. I'll agree, the guys in the middle are dropping out - it's mostly guys giving away junk and trash they don't want and a few guys that think their stuff is made out of gold any more. I'm kinda in between the extremes - I've been doing it a long time and I pretty much know the value of the parts I sell and sell them for a fair price. I take trash to give away but that doesn't mean I'm there to sell something I have that's worth a couple hundred dollars for 5 bucks. The sellers have to pay for gas and the swap spots and sit there for a day or two plus they have money invested in the parts and storage costs. A lot of the guys buying nowadays expect the stuff to be cheaper than what the guy could get for it at the scrap yard. A guy next to me had a set of 17" aluminum Dodge Ram wheels for sale at Elkhorn last year. A guy argued with him for a half hour because he wouldn't take his $40 offer for the wheels. The guy could have scrapped them for over a hundred and not had to even meet that bonehead.

I take a hard rubber mallet with me to swap meets any more. It's marked "pest control" on the side - the other vendors love it when I pull it out. :sign5:

I agree with the $1500.00 estimate, although I would like to get it for under that though. Probably wouldn't get it for a grand, but if it was a little over he may bite. Just sayin'!!! Geof

-
Back