Need advice..very pissed

-

Youngthrill

69 GT
Reaction score
The shop is slow so i pulled my 318 out and started working on it...installed oil pan and timing cover..proceeded to install my summit sfi damper...well everything was going smooth untill the damper stated hiting the timing marks built into the cover:mumum:....i looked at the summit sight for anther timing cover and the all have the marks built in....

the balancer is for a 273-360..i have anther timing cover off a 273 but its pretty pitted..that one has the timing plate...but i can see how it goes on...what should i do............:mumum:

a balancer for a 273-340 is different then a 360. 273-340 are internally balanced, 360 is externally balanced

werent the 273 and forged crank 318 balancers physically smaller too? Cast crank 318 balancers are the same diameter as 360 weighted units.

im using a 273 forged crank...but that shouldnt matter..the timing cover is off the 318..its just these stupid marks that are built into it...this summit balancer is twice as thick as stock

post 70 covers all have the timing marks on driver side....pre 70 are on the passenger side ....they match the water pumps of their era..and the radiator inlet and outlet match the pump...

all the timing covers are basically the same....

can you post a picture of the problem....

You need the early 67 and back timing cover, with the bolt on timing
pointer, these came from the factory with CAST IRON WATERPUMPS.
I think I just sold the last one of my earlier one's, but will look tomorrow.
These early timing cover's are the same, on the 67 and older poly 318
motor's.

'68 and earlier timing covers do not have the cast in timing marks. Those older covers use a bolt on timing pointer. '69 was the first year for the cast in timing marks and they are on the passenger's side unlike the '70 up covers which have the timing marks cast into the driver's side. That makes the '69 cover a one year only cover. Here is a picture of the bolt on '68 and earlier timing pointer.

Attachments

• TimingPtr3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 296
so i made a rookie mistake...ill admit it................

so now the balancer and the water pump are going back..getting a trick flow balancer from summit(pre 67)im getting a 273 water pump outlet on the drivers side...i was not able to find a high flow one which i wanted for my eddy heads.

it gets better..i kept the timing cover (which i know need)from the 65 273...only to find out that one corner is pitted so bad,i cant justify using it..it will leak.

so what im asking were can i find a pre 67 timing cover ..it has no timing knotches ..luckily i kept the timing plate..pm me if someone has one for sale or can direct me to one ..thanks again fabo[-o<

We all make mistakes, thankfully this wasnt a costly one, it just delayed things a bit. Be sure to post a want ad!

-
Back