Need An Upgrade Tranny SL6

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i am looking to upgrade my stock 904 or drop in 727. i don't have the time or the tools to do it my self other wise i would do it. im looking for a street strip tranny or parts to make it hold up to being daily driven and raced on the strip. anybody in phoenix do good work or know of one who can do it. i know race and cheap arn't in the same country but i would like some where in the middle. TCI wanted 1200 bucks for them to do it and i didn't even tell them what i wanted...

are you keeping the slant? the 904 is plenty good-- if you are paying for a rebuild-- use it-- they are a very good tranny & can take alot -- need more input on your engine/plans.Lawrence

I have never really heard anything good about TCI trannies.

If you are going to keep the slant and you want more tranny options then you need the adapter plate and crank spacer out of a mid 60's (I can't remember the exact years) dodge truck/van with a slant and a 727. It was a smallblock V8 tranny with a adapter plate for a slant. If you get the plate and crank spacer you can bolt any smallblock tranny (including a 518 ) to a slant. You may also be able to get a modified chevy powerglide to bolt up.

A Powerslide??? Ever start of in 2nd gear with a 3 speed tranny?

904 trannies work great behind a /6. A performance rebuild will really perk them up.

i finished rebuilding my slant and have about 3500 miles on it. the engine is .080 over bored, .510/246 dur @ .050/108 LSA. fully ported head and portmatched intake/headers. aluminum intake and 600cfm holley 4150 DP. i weight the car at a truck stop and the car was 3050 with me and full tank.

1022091458.jpg

1022091502.jpg

1022091503.jpg

Looks like a stout slant 6. What ET does it go now? A properly built 904 trans will be fine.

sweet about in the 904! im not done with the slant yet still have more stuff ujp my sleves for it. i havn't run it yet cuz the tranny but it should be in the 13.5 to 14.5 right now. i have a 8.75 with 3.91's/posi to go in it to.

Stick with the 904. With a low gear set and a Trans Go shift kit, it would be hard to beat.

you could find a later 904/999 out of a 318/360 car and use the internal guts to upgrade your trans.

i would guess that 904 in front of /s only has 3 clutch disc in front and rear clutch paks...

upgrading to a 904 from 318 would have 4 and 4 disc

you could find a later 904/999 out of a 318/360 car and use the internal guts to upgrade your trans.

i would guess that 904 in front of /s only has 3 clutch disc in front and rear clutch paks...

upgrading to a 904 from 318 would have 4 and 4 disc

yea that would be better! so how much later like early 70's later? ans also what about a truck tranny guts?

for a mild performance street/strip 6 the 904 with a $200 or under rebuild kit with a manual valve body and a good converter is all you need and all that is way under $1200 if you built that motor you can rebuild it yourself some kits come with a instructional video plus with the manual valve body it will bark the tires hitting 2nd gear oh yea a slant barking the tires music to my ears anyone else agree??

for a mild performance street/strip 6 the 904 with a $200 or under rebuild kit with a manual valve body and a good converter is all you need and all that is way under $1200 if you built that motor you can rebuild it yourself some kits come with a instructional video plus with the manual valve body it will bark the tires hitting 2nd gear oh yea a slant barking the tires music to my ears anyone else agree??

hell yea! don't u need to have the special tools to get the front pump and some other stuff apart? and 200 buck and under is right in my price range! u wanna see the other motor i built? its a 505 stroker with victor heads

505.jpg

here are some kits i found. and who makes good valve bodies?

TCI CHRYSLER 904 PRO SUPER TRANS REBUILD KIT #129000 for $215.00

Peformance Rebuild Kit 1960-71 Mopar 904 Transmissions for $50

SMR TF904: SM125PS - price $199.75 (us)

Your 904 valve body will be fine, put a Trans Go TF-2 reprograming kit in it.

I would like to up grade rebuild, my 66 Valiant 904 tranny . It has less than 100K on it. What would be a niece converter to buy for a daily street driver (hi efficiency fuel/power)? Whats difference of Trans go's TF 1 vs. TF 2 Kit?
I would like to install Kevlar bands, anyone ever put any in their ride? Would it be advantageous for me to add an extra steel in the clutch pack? Does anyone make a bolt in sprag or an upgrade product? Has anyone used Amsoil in their 904 trany ? Thanks for any input ,
Kruzz

-
Back