need answer ASAP!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
i am doing all my ground circuits on my car right this very moment. i have aluminum heads. can i run the ground from the head to the frame? i know the factory did it with iron heads. i do not have any empty holes on the block that i can use.

Sure, a few guys run a ground from each head to chassis for better ignition.

I don't have aluminum heads on my car but I don't see no reason why you cant....Aluminum is a very good conductor of electricity.....I think it is 4th on the list of best conductors.....Silver being best, then copper, then gold, then aluminum....Now this is conductor wise I am talking about.......corrosive wise is another order.....also price dictates why we use copper over gold & silver......But your bigger gauge wires like the ones coming into your house panel are usually aluminum....

Steel bolts hold the head down so I don't think you would have a problem with metal transfer like you would with copper and steel.

i am doing all my ground circuits on my car right this very moment. i have aluminum heads. can i run the ground from the head to the frame? i know the factory did it with iron heads. i do not have any empty holes on the block that i can use.

Are there holes there for the ground bolts? If there are then I would use them.

Thats how mines grounded. You may want to use a sacrificial anode rod in your radiator to protect your aluminum parts. I have one in mine I bought on amazon for 12 bucks.

Thats how mines grounded. You may want to use a sacrificial anode rod in your radiator to protect your aluminum parts. I have one in mine I bought on amazon for 12 bucks.

well i have run the ground from a threaded hole in the front of my passenger side head to the frame rail. I have no idea what an anode is. please do explain.

Google "galvanic action."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Over the road trucks, example seem to be susceptible to this. "Back when" I sold parts, we sold coolant filters and water treatment chemicals for heavy trucks. The coolant "filter" is actually a sacrificial chemical which dissolves into the coolant over time

I always heard not to ground to alumn heads. I ran the ground to a bolt on the block itself to be safe.

My Breeze has an AL head and iron block and its grounded to the head. Maybe not the best but definitely doable. There is a gel that you coat the head ground lug location to for oxidation prevention, available in a squeeze tube at the checkout of autoparts stores. It is for battery clamps.

i have already made up a 1/0 ground cable from the head to the frame. i will do another ground from one of the transmission to block bolts to the fire wall as well. thanks for all the replies guys.

well i have run the ground from a threaded hole in the front of my passenger side head to the frame rail. I have no idea what an anode is. please do explain.

Most of the problem is with aluminum radiators. If you keep your coolant flushed and replaced at the recommended intervals you won't have trouble with it. If you don't you can develop a current conducted through the coolant which will cause pits through the radiator from electrolysis.

As far as the heads and block go I'd eventually try to find a spot on the cast iron block. Even a bolt holding on a bracket. I've heard both sides of the argument as to grounding to aluminum heads. It's like, are redheads better lovers or are brunettes? Everyone has an opinion but I've never seen a definitive test. Why chance it and possibly have problems down the line. You might and you might not but if you ground to the block you know you won't.

-
Back