Need Any Welding advice?

-
I have a tig question or 2.

Do you use a pure tung for welding aluminum with a ''balled'' end or do use a square end like it comes new?
We used to ''ball'' the end by switching the machine to dc and running it for a few seconds to slightly melt the end into a ball. Then switch back to ac to weld with pure argon.
Which way do you prefer?

When welding stainless, do you use a 2% thoriated tungsten with a taper of 2 to 1 or do you just sharpen it like a pencil and use it that way without blunting the end a bit?

Which tungsten and end prep do you prefer for both and why?

The two mentioned above is what i have used in the past with good results, but i never got involved with aerospace welding, mainly just pressure welding for the food industry (stainless) and aluminum repairs.

For tungsten on AC welding, I prefer 1/8" dia. zirconiated tunsten, color code is brown. It has one of the highest melting points of all, allowing you to keep a small ball on the end of your electrode, and enhancing arc stability and control. I don't ball my tungsten, I leave a small .030" - .040" flat on the end, and it will ball itself during the start of your weld. With 1/8", you can weld on material from .030" - 3/8" with no issues.

On DC, I prefer 2% thoriated, or red band. I sharpen mine like a pencil....and sharp as **** at a 25° angle. No flat!. The length of your taper should be at least 2 1/2 times your electrode diameter. 3/32" dia is a perfect all around size to weld from .010" - 1" thick on DC. Don't buy into the "1/16" for thinner material" crap. It's BS.

Hope that helps!

-
Back