Need as much W-2 info as possible.

-

DJ Petreycik

Reaction score
Hey all! Recently I decided to change directions with a car I'm building, and I'd like to now run a W-2 setup on my 340. I have tired doing some research online, but due to me being *pretty dumb*, I haven't been able to tell the difference between all of the castings, ratios, and differences between all of the W-2 heads and parts.

My goal is a 340 (mated to a 4 speed and 3:55's) that I can street, making the absolute most power that you could make in a N/A small-block, shopping primarily from the Direct Connection catalog in the 80's. I'd like to use period correct parts, with the most high performance castings I can find. It will be a fully built high compression bottom end, mated to whatever W-2 parts seem to be the best.

If someone can give me almost a complete history and anatomy lesson on the W-2 heads, what heads and valvetrain parts I should run, and if they know of anything for sale currently, I would love that.

I have no interest in any newer W parts, I'd like to build the car as if i was building it in the mid 80's, with some exceptions to squeeze the most out of it.

Thanks!

a lot of custom Builders come on this site asking for this stuff and then they turn around and make tens of thousands oof it.

Should start charging.

Hey all! Recently I decided to change directions with a car I'm building, and I'd like to now run a W-2 setup on my 340. I have tired doing some research online, but due to me being *pretty dumb*, I haven't been able to tell the difference between all of the castings, ratios, and differences between all of the W-2 heads and parts.

My goal is a 340 (mated to a 4 speed and 3:55's) that I can street, making the absolute most power that you could make in a N/A small-block, shopping primarily from the Direct Connection catalog in the 80's. I'd like to use period correct parts, with the most high performance castings I can find. It will be a fully built high compression bottom end, mated to whatever W-2 parts seem to be the best.

If someone can give me almost a complete history and anatomy lesson on the W-2 heads, what heads and valvetrain parts I should run, and if they know of anything for sale currently, I would love that.

I have no interest in any newer W parts, I'd like to build the car as if i was building it in the mid 80's, with some exceptions to squeeze the most out of it.

Thanks!
Give me almost a complete history :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

W-2's mean you are gonna send it.... Why the 3:55's? Just thinking out loud it would be down at the bottom of my choices for a head just for the risk factor of getting a good set.

I like the idea of an old school build. When you do find the parts expect people to be mighty proud of what they have. I looked at all this years ago and closed that chapter of the book... YR knows alot about them. He will coming along soon....

JW

There were NUMEROUS variations of the W2 head, it would be difficult to explain ALL the different ones. A better idea, is buy a set, making sure they are for a 59 degree lifter (stock) and then determine what parts you need to run them. Specific parts to the w2 are, intake, rocker arms, and headers, possibly valves depending on which version you get. The are a EXCELLENT street performance head, but can be a learning curve.

-
Back