Need different carb for street on 408

-
IBTL!!

I have to sit and rev my Edelbrock for about a minute even WITH a choke!! My neighbors are pretty cool though.

My question to you all present here is; Do you think that my 770 Avenger thought was OK?

I don't think you're wrong, but I know I would have a hard time giving up my mechanical secondary... so your suggestion got me looking through the Holley site and I found this carb, appears to be the best of both worlds, a 750 CFM Ultra Double Pumper™ Street/Strip Carburetor mechanical secondary with electric choke: http://www.holley.com/0-76750BL.asp

so with 252/256 degrees @ .050 camshaft...just going to hit the key...it going to fire and idle while you warm up your coffee....LOL

FWIW, a choke has a fast idle provision, which gradually steps down. You will still be making plenty of stroker music

With that cam I wouldnt expect it to idle right away on a cold day even with a choke.

To all..

I really do value every opinion here. Remember when we did not have the conveniance of forums and the net. When I was 16 I had a ford 390 splayed all over my Grandmothers garage. It was my first rebuild. I had no help whatsoever. Of course this was B.M. (Before Mopar). I was on my own. After putting it back together, it ran and ran well, probably just luck with my neophitic experiance. I have learned a ton from all your comments and suggestions in the past years, so keep it up!

I realize that I will loose a little on the full throttle response with a vac sec, so I may live with it, or may go with an Ultra w\choke or 4781, etc. Throughout the process of this build, again we take all the marbles and cull out what we feel is the best and ultimately make a decision of what we feel is correct for our situation. Its fun, and we learn and then we pass on our experiances to others like everyone here.

Amazing as it is, that with the radical nature of my 408, it does take only a short while to get to idle stage. Probably attributed to aluminum heads and intake, heat transfer. The viscosity of the oil when starting, at about 35 degrees (temperature) surely is a factor and will think about. The 2 step timing is also something to consider and I know I can tune the fast idle and choke closure on another carb to get closer to what I want.

I don't drive this everyday, in fact last Sunday was the first time out in 4 weeks. I don't expect it to start like a remote start vehicle with FI, I just want to get it a little better, a little improvement.

With the situation in our country, world and the economy, this may be my last hot rod, hope not, but I am going to try to baby it the best I can, that is until it hits a deserted patch of road or the 1320'.

Thanks again!!

To all..

I really do value every opinion here. Remember when we did not have the conveniance of forums and the net. When I was 16 I had a ford 390 splayed all over my Grandmothers garage. It was my first rebuild. I had no help whatsoever. Of course this was B.M. (Before Mopar). I was on my own. After putting it back together, it ran and ran well, probably just luck with my neophitic experiance. I have learned a ton from all your comments and suggestions in the past years, so keep it up!

I realize that I will loose a little on the full throttle response with a vac sec, so I may live with it, or may go with an Ultra w\choke or 4781, etc. Throughout the process of this build, again we take all the marbles and cull out what we feel is the best and ultimately make a decision of what we feel is correct for our situation. Its fun, and we learn and then we pass on our experiances to others like everyone here.

Amazing as it is, that with the radical nature of my 408, it does take only a short while to get to idle stage. Probably attributed to aluminum heads and intake, heat transfer. The viscosity of the oil when starting, at about 35 degrees (temperature) surely is a factor and will think about. The 2 step timing is also something to consider and I know I can tune the fast idle and choke closure on another carb to get closer to what I want.

I don't drive this everyday, in fact last Sunday was the first time out in 4 weeks. I don't expect it to start like a remote start vehicle with FI, I just want to get it a little better, a little improvement.

With the situation in our country, world and the economy, this may be my last hot rod, hope not, but I am going to try to baby it the best I can, that is until it hits a deserted patch of road or the 1320'.

Thanks again!!
What's your idle at? Jw. My last camshaft was 260/260 and I just had to bleep it a couple of times then I could back it out of the garage to let it warm up without touching the gas again. Maybe it's cooler where you are? But it would get 30-40 degrees in the mornings where I am from.

Fst,

I am still dialing in, not much time with work and all, but in the 900 range. Have been slowly creeping up the initial, at about 20 now with about 35 total. This thing loves initial. Dang thing could get up to 24 to 26.

Fst,

I am still dialing in, not much time with work and all, but in the 900 range. Have been slowly creeping up the initial, at about 20 now with about 35 total. This thing loves initial. Dang thing could get up to 24 to 26.

Bigger cams DO LOVE initial. I remember awhile back I got lazy and had some RPM in gear dropping issues, so I locked it out and set it at 34-36 Initial and oh man did it love that. I wouldn't suggest it to you just because I will get killed on here, but I know if you can add more initial and take less mechanical out it will help idle better. I believe I had my car at 1k-1100 idle.

-
Back