need different crank for a swap?

-

gerry73dart

Reaction score
im new to playing with mopar's bet i love them best muscle cars ever to rip up pavement.my question is i have 2 cars one is a donor car and its a stick is it true if my car is an auto i need to get the right crank in order to make the car a stick?i sure hope not !!!! that would suck

Most cranks are drilled for pilot brg. maybe you are one of the lucky ones.
100_0285.jpg
[/IMG]

What size engine are we talking about?

I have a 340 stk crank that should clean up at .010, .010 and it is forged. You just put a pilot bushing in the rear for a stick.

what imlookin foris a 318 or 360 for now that runs like out of a diplomat or something that wouldnt have had a stick.

Even if your crank wasn't drilled there are very easy and inexpensive ways around it that are bulletproof and use factory parts. Don't sweat it. Can even be done IN the car.

LA small blocks are drilled and reamed from the factory. Go get a bushing an tap it into the hole. Big blocks were reamed if they were 4 speed cars.

I'm doin the 4 speed conversion on my Dart right now. Dropped the auto tranny and tapped the bushing right into the crank. No problem. Perfect fit.

I'm doin the 4 speed conversion on my 318 Dart right now. Dropped the auto tranny and tapped the bushing right into the crank. No problem. Perfect fit.

I've hear some weren't drilled but I have never seen one that wasn't. I have a 76 and a 87 360 that both have the hole.

Like others have said if it is a small block you should be fine. On the bb you will have a problem in the later years, i think it was in 73 when they didn't drill it out if it was an auto. Ran into that problem when I had my 68 charger R/T a few years back.

You can use a pilot bushing part # 53009180AB. It's a rooler bearing and is set in a big aluminum donut fits into the largeer hole in the crank instead of a regular pilot bushing. $13.00 at the local Dodge dealer. Saves finding the right one for non 4 spd crank. I put one in my Duster and works fine.

kork340 said:
You can use a pilot bushing part # 53009180AB. It's a rooler bearing and is set in a big aluminum donut fits into the largeer hole in the crank instead of a regular pilot bushing. $13.00 at the local Dodge dealer. Saves finding the right one for non 4 spd crank. I put one in my Duster and works fine.

+1 I did this as well. You'll have no problems with a small block.

With this bushing 53009180AB, do you have to cut the input shaft of the trans? I have a 73 340 auto that I want to convert. Thank you

I used it and cut maybe 1/2-5/8 off trans input. This was on a 360 magnum that was not drilled. Regular small block might fit but either way its no big deal and the roller bearing is a better product than bushing

-
Back