need driveshaft length...66 Valiant W/ 8.75

-

CUDAGUY

aka Prince Valiant
Reaction score
just need a center to center length (u-joints) for a driveshaft.
car in question

66 Valiant wagon
904 auto
8.75 rear with #741 case (if it matters)

49 1/4". Measurement taken from 66 Cuda, 273/904/8 3/4 with 741. Good luck with your project, Geof

Wow, just what I was going to ask. I think this might be the same dimension as a plain jane L6/7.25 Duster? That would be a stroke of luck.

Duster has a longer wheelbase. 7 1/4" rear is shorter from axle centerline to u joint centerline than an 8 3/4". Driveshaft won't be the same as a 66 A Body.

Duster has a longer wheelbase. 7 1/4" rear is shorter from axle centerline to u joint centerline than an 8 3/4". Driveshaft won't be the same as a 66 A Body.

Was referencing this thread a few ago where a guy needed a replacement 49.5 driveshaft for a 74 Duster 904/8.25 so they are out there stock length. Wheelbase can be deceiving. rear ends do make a difference, you are correct. I was incorrect when stating it was from a 904/7.25.

Was referencing this thread a few ago where a guy needed a replacement 49.5 driveshaft for a 74 Duster 904/8.25 so they are out there stock length. Wheelbase can be deceiving. rear ends do make a difference, you are correct. I was incorrect when stating it was from a 904/7.25.

You're right about the wheelbase. I remember now reading an old thread where the wheelbase didn't seem to have as much of an effect on the driveshaft length as one would think. Best bet is to always measure center to center lengths. Unless you have a B&T front joint. Then you're just plain screwed. :-D

Mine was actually measured in place, although I would prefer it to be just a touch shorter. Mine is not a stock unit, it was made for me by a driveshaft company with dimensions taken by me according to their request. It fits and I have no problems, but it is a little tight to remove and install. The stock size mentioned above is pretty close to what I have, so I'm not changing is, but I just thought I'd throw some real time observations at y'all!!! Geof

-
Back