Need Head Help?

-
Reaction score
I HAVE A HEAD PORTING BUSINESS AND WOULD LIKE TO HELP THOSE WHO HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT MOPAR HEADS. IAM NEW TO THIS SITE AND HAVE ALWAYS FOUND MOPAR PEOPLE THE BEST FRIENDS YOU COULD ASK FOR. SO I AM HERE TO HELP OR JUST TALK TO. :snakeman:

stupid question but you can not un port a head by welding in new material can you???

my buddy just "ported":angry7: his honda preludes head and he ported WAY to much i mean NO low end torque at all he is currently engaging his clutch at 2500 cause any lower and it dies..... but as he has pointed out it DOES make great power from 7k-10k :banghead:
but i have never heard of being able to weld in new material and there is a shop that said they can do for 500 bucks..... i think its BS but i wanted to make sure before i tell him to just go buy a new head

oh and btw welcome to fabo

i am assuming your buddy has an aluminum head, so tig welding and a recut might work. but epoxsy would probably work better.(easier cheaper does not last as long) believe it or not jb weld works liquid (not dough). although the high end power makes me think you might solve some of you issues with a little head milling take .030 off it will boost your compression. it will also give back more bottom end and torque. but do not mill if you have any blowby. you will fry the rings. but if there fairly fresh rings i think i would try that.

Welcome!

You'll get along good with BJR Racing, and moper .. yes moper with a "e".

I have a set of 318 "302" swirl port heads on a 10:7 compression 360. I pulled these heads off of a 273 that basically I got tire of fooling with. I wanted low end torque and keep the velocity up the whole time. I am running the Eddy Performer intake with the small runners that match the ports on the heads.

How much difference would going with a larger exhaust valves really make? The heads have been milled so that the chamber is 57cc. The valves have been back cut also.

Any other tweaks for the little 302 heads on a 360 or is it port time?

depending on what cam grind you have. its probably port time. i strongly recommend intake port matching to optimize the port job. the swirl port heads you speak of are great street heads but lack in most qualitys as a race head. on a 273 or 318 with port work int/head they do great. but they are far too anorexic for 360's .they make nice comp. great quench but not enough flow.

Welcome, this sites cool I've only been on a few days but hey I learn quick. I have a head question, WHY ARE ALL OF MY DAMN MAGNUM HEADS CRACKED!?!?!?!??? I've been plannin this swap for a long time now, but no, both sets I have are cracked right between valves WTF

-sorry, that coupled with my layoff and my Grandpa's house gettin broken into and robbed last night has not made for a very good week thus far:angry7:

i am assuming your buddy has an aluminum head, so tig welding and a recut might work. but epoxsy would probably work better.(easier cheaper does not last as long) believe it or not jb weld works liquid (not dough). although the high end power makes me think you might solve some of you issues with a little head milling take .030 off it will boost your compression. it will also give back more bottom end and torque. but do not mill if you have any blowby. you will fry the rings. but if there fairly fresh rings i think i would try that.

its a rebuilt motor with the JDM spec 11-1 comp pistons but thank you for the info on the jb weld thing we might try that this weekend when he gets his dads ram for a week and again thank you for the help

i get out in a W200 3/4 powerwagon, when i need too but mostly hibernate in my shop sucking cast iron and aluminum dust. waiting for a thermite reaction in my lungs to keep warm. thanks

Welcome, this sites cool I've only been on a few days but hey I learn quick. I have a head question, WHY ARE ALL OF MY DAMN MAGNUM HEADS CRACKED!?!?!?!??? I've been plannin this swap for a long time now, but no, both sets I have are cracked right between valves WTF

-sorry, that coupled with my layoff and my Grandpa's house gettin broken into and robbed last night has not made for a very good week thus far:angry7:
youve just named my number one pet peeve . customers who say they have(machine shops too) magnafluxed (crack checked) heads only for me to find them (cracks)after porting for 20 hours or so. who gets to pay for that? me thats who! its bs! not a big deal if fixable but most are not. problem is that most cast or aluminum heads that have been used get fatiqued from heating and cooling. so if your going magnum i suggest iron ram heads ,you can get them at hughes engines bare for around 600 pair there beefy have lots of room for porting. flow great out of the box. smoke r/t heads on the flow bench, somewhat cheap. and did i mention there new? no cracks ,come in either bolt pattern magnum or standard la. hoooooraaahh

its a rebuilt motor with the JDM spec 11-1 comp pistons but thank you for the info on the jb weld thing we might try that this weekend when he gets his dads ram for a week and again thank you for the help
start from runner floors first. its the easiest way to cut a little flow and not screw stuff up. read the directions carefully mix exactly. remember if it fails so will your engine . check with your machine shop i am sure they make repairs like this themselves. absolutely do not try this with the head on the engine .the head will have to come off as nomatter how good you are spreading jb you will still have to cut and blend the new floor contour to your head for it to operate properly. one more question did your buddy gasket/ port match the intake? this must be done to not recieve negetive engine effects.thanks

um he found a aftermarket manifold that the runners are huge and cut the gasket to the runners of the intake, and then ported the head to match, although he made me proud today:angry7: we are actually looking for an entire H22 motor now cause he is an idiot.... called me last night to tell me how he got rid of the low end problem... bought a 100hp shot :angry7: well imagine this if your activating nitrous at 2500rpm at WOT if it misfires the motor will make all kinds of messed up noises(ah, to be 17 again...actually ah, to have parents that have money...) but i believe rod 3 is trashed or at least it sounds/feels like it but thank you so much for all the info and sorry i didnt get to use it

youve just named my number one pet peeve . customers who say they have(machine shops too) magnafluxed (crack checked) heads only for me to find them (cracks)after porting for 20 hours or so. who gets to pay for that? me thats who! its bs! not a big deal if fixable but most are not. problem is that most cast or aluminum heads that have been used get fatiqued from heating and cooling. so if your going magnum i suggest iron ram heads ,you can get them at hughes engines bare for around 600 pair there beefy have lots of room for porting. flow great out of the box. smoke r/t heads on the flow bench, somewhat cheap. and did i mention there new? no cracks ,come in either bolt pattern magnum or standard la. hoooooraaahh

This is why I ALWAYS magnaflux anything old before using it or, as you mentioned, have work done on it. I 100% agree with you that it's not fair if I were to tell you to port my heads without checking them and make you eat the cost because me the customer was too stupid to realize that things crack and break. If I were you I'd put it in a contract that if a customer has you work on a head that hasn't been checked and turns out cracked the customer pays at least 50% of the bill. I may look into Hughes' heads once I find a job again. What do you feel would perform best ?? X heads or magnums? I like the small combustion chamber, flow, and 1.6 rockers of the magnum but I know the X heads have a lot of potential, I just refuse to pay the money they want for 1.6 rockers for LA style heads. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.

Two of my teachers in high school ranted and raved about 225/6 pushing 300+ hp. i have a short block that came with my barracuda with .30 pistons. how can i make this baby push 300+ i also have headers and a 4bbl intake that may be worth more than the car was paid for... this said any suggestions?

thank you for offering your services hard to find anyone who will give advice that isnt making a buck off of it and when profitability comes into play it can be hard to trust said advice...

thanks,
cudabri

This is why I ALWAYS magnaflux anything old before using it or, as you mentioned, have work done on it. I 100% agree with you that it's not fair if I were to tell you to port my heads without checking them and make you eat the cost because me the customer was too stupid to realize that things crack and break. If I were you I'd put it in a contract that if a customer has you work on a head that hasn't been checked and turns out cracked the customer pays at least 50% of the bill. I may look into Hughes' heads once I find a job again. What do you feel would perform best ?? X heads or magnums? I like the small combustion chamber, flow, and 1.6 rockers of the magnum but I know the X heads have a lot of potential, I just refuse to pay the money they want for 1.6 rockers for LA style heads. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.
hows it going? my advice is to leave the x heads for the 340 resto crowd they pay the money for them anyway find some 915 sb j heads they out flow um anyway. thats what chrysler switched to in 71 340 anyway. if you get the 360 j heads (915) there exactly the same . except you will have to to have them opened up to 2.02/1.60 same high flowin deal just cheaper. i have seen raw mopar 915 castings the only diff is that chryslers machine shop did the work instead of yours. same part number. except 915 t/a head that ones a little different.as far a magnums too go new is king, and r/t is good ,iron ram heads are best. remember they make 1.6 rockers for the old style too check out kmj performance (cheap) later!!!!

Two of my teachers in high school ranted and raved about 225/6 pushing 300+ hp. i have a short block that came with my barracuda with .30 pistons. how can i make this baby push 300+ i also have headers and a 4bbl intake that may be worth more than the car was paid for... this said any suggestions?

thank you for offering your services hard to find anyone who will give advice that isnt making a buck off of it and when profitability comes into play it can be hard to trust said advice...

thanks,
cudabri
i always like a question or too about the leaning tower of power/ blue buzzin half dozen. your teachers were right except try more like up of 500hp if done right i have seem dual four barrel intakes (as well as single offy makes a goods one). so i would advise a single 4bbl intake with 600 edelbrock 280/484 camcraft cam 10.5-1 compression piston, nice head port job/matching intake bigger valves minor ect msd ect. that will make 300+ easy + streetable with a little lump

hows it going? my advice is to leave the x heads for the 340 resto crowd they pay the money for them anyway find some 915 sb j heads they out flow um anyway. thats what chrysler switched to in 71 340 anyway. if you get the 360 j heads (915) there exactly the same . except you will have to to have them opened up to 2.02/1.60 same high flowin deal just cheaper. i have seen raw mopar 915 castings the only diff is that chryslers machine shop did the work instead of yours. same part number. except 915 t/a head that ones a little different.as far a magnums too go new is king, and r/t is good ,iron ram heads are best. remember they make 1.6 rockers for the old style too check out kmj performance (cheap) later!!!!

Well, I'm laid off so this winter the motor's getting left alone and I'm just using parts I have to so the trans (converter, valve body) I'm gonna finally pull the stick of 3" stainless out of the corner and do that too. I checked out KMJ enterprise after I found them on ebay, I read the feedback I could find on the rockers and I'm not impressed with what I read about it. i.e. incomplete kits, things missing, totally wrong kit and KMJ refused to do anything about it. That does not set well with me, everyone knows that gettin dick'd around by some A-hole on the phone sucks.

-
Back