need headliner help

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to need a headliner on the Valiant. for once I have found something I needed that I have a few options on. Stock interiors, Classic Industries and Pro/fit auto interiors / Legendary show these on their websites. Has anyone bought a headliner from any of these. Which one do you recommend and is this a bow type. I have not really looked at this one yet. I noticed the other day a slight rip in the back. It looks kinda dry rotted in places. But the fact that I took this up the road today to the paint booth with both front and back glass out of it made the decision that I need one. I tried to tape it but didn't work. couldn't tarp it so it is what it is. I wont be able to take it down till she gets back home tomorrow night. It is a 4 door car.

Although I didn't buy it myself, I helped a buddy install a blue headliner in his '71 GTX a few weeks ago. It was from Legendary. I've got a new white one down in my basement that I haven't installed yet in our '68 Charger. It's also from Legendary. I posted pictures of the installation in the GTX on my build thread. It went in alright and we didn't see any problems with workmanship.

Prior to installation we searched online for video help. We'd never installed one before. The videos we watched were of an install in a '69 Charger. It helped us familiarize ourselves with the procedure. The videos are sort of lame but they still helped.

part1
[ame]https://youtu.be/b1j8QbkHLZc[/ame]

part2
[ame]https://youtu.be/KJU6m1ZkwQg[/ame]

Pics of our GTX installation:

View attachment IMG_4750.jpg

View attachment IMG_4751.jpg

View attachment IMG_4752.jpg

View attachment IMG_4753.jpg

View attachment IMG_4754.jpg

View attachment IMG_4755.jpg

View attachment IMG_4756.jpg

View attachment IMG_4757.jpg

View attachment IMG_4758.jpg

View attachment IMG_4759.jpg

did you like the material from Legendary. for some reason I don't think this is a bow type. I think this is a spray adhesive type headliner. Dantes has it also and has the insulation that sprays to the roof between the headliner so I am not sure what I am getting into here yet. I just know that after this trip today, it is going to need one. thanks for the info.

after reading Stock Interiors ad for a headliner, it may be a bow type. I have no idea yet. looking for something soft and black.

Black makes it easier to find a suitable fabric. If you can't locate a headliner for your car you can have a new one sewn up using the pattern from the original.
Be careful taking it out to save the pattern.
Any upholstery shop can make you one. I have sewn up many and installed them.
They may sew it up for you and let you install it yourself if you ask.
I have never had anyone ask me to do just the sewing though.

I would see if you have the metal Bows that are at each seam. Just press on it you should be able to tell. My 74 SE had five bows but some had four. If it is bow type just count the seams. It also has to be installed with the front and back glass out, Hope it helps.

I don't know which style your headliner is. The one that I have in the pics is obviously a bow type. The material is identical to what was original for our cars. I know that my '72 Duster has a stiff cardboard style.

yeah, I glad that both glass has to be out. I am glad this happened because I was just getting ready to have the glass installed. I guess things happen for a reason. I will look at it when it come home tomorrow. I know it is wore out as it tears real easy. When fabric is 46 years old in a car, it is ready for new.

yeah, I glad that both glass has to be out. I am glad this happened because I was just getting ready to have the glass installed. I guess things happen for a reason. I will look at it when it come home tomorrow. I know it is wore out as it tears real easy. When fabric is 46 years old in a car, it is ready for new.

I know that they advise you to remove the glass in that video but we did not. It may be necessary on certain models but didn't make much of a difference on that '71.

More pics:

View attachment IMG_4769.jpg

View attachment IMG_4770.jpg

View attachment IMG_4771.jpg

View attachment IMG_4772.jpg

View attachment IMG_4773.jpg

View attachment IMG_4774.jpg

View attachment IMG_4775.jpg

View attachment IMG_4776.jpg

View attachment IMG_4777.jpg

View attachment IMG_4778.jpg

On a 69 Valiant the front an rear glass seal along with barbs in the glass channel is what holds it in place. Also in the rear there are cardboard sail panels that it glues to. Getting ready to put mine back in. Good luck.

Got the car home and checked it. It has bows in it. I believe 5 of them. here are pics of the headliner. I guess I will need insulation that glues to the roof. what about the clips they call for. Does this have clips. In looking at some of the websites, I gather that 2 and 4 door headliners are the same. or are they different. Seems like they would be a tad bit longer. material is a black perforated. What about the sail panel area. Does the headliner have the sail panel area included.

Attachments

• DSC08133.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC08132.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC08131.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC08130.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC08129.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 261
I would assume the clips you need will be on the bows or in the roofline when you pull the old headliner out.Just be sure to mark the bows so they go back in the same order.

If you pull the plastic 'welting' off from the perimeter you will see if there are any clips that are holding the edges in place. They are small metal ones that hold the headliner fabric to the metal seamed edge of the roof panel.

View attachment fd26450s.jpg

The GTX we did only had 4 on each side but we scavenged a bunch more from another vehicle. In my opinion 10 on each side would make the job easier by holding the material better as you're stretching it.

Oh, the sail panel fabric should already be attached to the new headliner if it's like all the others I've seen.

I don't remember any clips in the door channels there wer little bucket clips for the bows to set in. It's not a very good picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 161
This the cardboard in the sail panel area on mine. Had to remove for blasting. You should be able to leave it in place. Just don't get in a Huey removing the old headliner. Mine came out without tearing. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 186
Bill, when I did the Valiant in mine it was 5 Bows. I ordered mine from E-bay. I watched the same exact video, John posted. My sail panels on mine where ruined. I had to make new ones out of 1/8 particle board. When I did mine I also installed sound deadner to the roof (silver bubble).BTW these cars are easier with the Front and Back windows out. Due to the curve of the back window. Hope the helps. Use a heat gun also, just make sure to keep moving it. Mine came out Awesome.

-
Back