NEED HELP!!! 9-Second Engine Setup?

-

Slugger8985

Reaction score
I recently started my first project, a 66 Valiant post car. Its going to be a drag car, hopefully running S/G. I need some input on getting that 9-second engine setup. Anybody who can help, please let me know what general setup options I got. I've heard some say 440, some say stick with sb. Ideas!!!

Thats the problem it'd have to be a fairly low budget build

How low is low?PM me with amount and I can help you out.

IMG_0441.JPG

I know that's my problem haha. I'm trying to find the fastest budget build I can. I'm looking for ideas so, throw 'em out if ya got 'em

It's not that I don't WANT to pay, I just don't have a whole lot of money because college takes up quite a bit haha

I would check into an R5-P7 Nascar engine. Depending on which one you get 800-1000 HP Complete for around $6500.00 with the motor plate. Most of these engines have been fully rebuilt that you find for sale. If you need more Smack it with a 400 shot of NOS. You might need to change your K-frame or do some mods to get it to fit depending on the car you put it in. RPM Power range is from 4000-10000 RPM depending on truck series engine or the other, and they will take the abuse and stay together. 5.13 gears so it gets to the RPM range Very quickly..........Just my opinion

My combo is a 400 stroked to a 496 4150 mopar crank alum rods flat top pistons 662 702 cam.. STOCK alum indy 440-1 heads NO port work Indy intake with 1050 dom carb. 727 5200 converter with a 8 3/4 4.88.

Foot braking car with the timing @ 34 degrees with mufflers on car weighing 3200 car went 9.82 @ 136 mph !!! With no tune up with jetting & tune will go 9.5 area

old school done by direct connection.
440 block +.060"
trw pop-up pistons
.750" roller cam
stage V heads
two 750dp holleys on a tunnel ram
J convertor
4.88 dana14"x32" slicks
on day two of tuning the hotrod went 9.80 seconds.
this was done with dc off the self parts.
you might be able to find the complete article on the web somewhere.

Thanks everybody keep em coming. I've been searchin around and are getting some good ideas so thanks again!!!

Brad

Slugger,
Is the car built already? My answer depends on what you have and what you want to spend. For a repeatable winning car, you need to have a package that can run well under your dial, plus you need all the electronics. If it was a back half car I'd go big block. A B wedge (400 based) in the 470 range set on full race. But a driveline for that will cost an honest $18K without a lot of dyno time and for a competition engine, you'll need to dyno it to get the gearing and convertor together. Super Gas is not an easy bracket class. If you want to have any chance of running more than a few time trials and make it past the first round it will take a ton of money and probably more attention than you as a student can give. Finding a ride to shoe might be a better option to race.

I can handle that. Super Gas was where I really WANT to race, but honestly I know that I won't have much money to spend until after I get back from a deployment and go into my career. I'm willing to start from the bottom, which is fine, I just need ideas on how much hp I could get out of that low budget build

But to answer your question, it's not built yet, I'm still working on tubbing it and all that, I just want to get a good plan layed out of what my options will be and which one will work best. It's always nice to have a plan laid out beforehand (even if not stuck to 100% of the time) so I can have a general idea where I'm going with it

First let me say, they are all budget builds, no one wants to spend more money than they have to. Secondly NOS isn't legal for S/G.

-
Back