need help a couple small block ????'s

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok ive heard of a couple people running magnum heads on their non magnum engines, but didnt really think much of it. well i just remembered that i have a set of magnum heads layin in the shop, but was wondering what the benifits or drawbacks were, or if they will even work? also i was wondering if someone knew could tell me any specks from the casting numbers? it looks like 5300, 6300, and 6671 on both? maybe the pictures will help. any information or advise will help thanks alot!!

magnum heads 002.jpg

magnum heads 004.jpg

magnum heads 005.jpg

magnum heads 006.jpg

magnum heads 007.jpg

magnum heads 008.jpg

magnum heads 009.jpg

They'll work on the earlier block. (Comando as it or they are refured to now.)
All production Magnum heads are the same. Or so close to it you'll never know the difference.

What you'll need to do in order to have it work is;

AMC lifters. Though there probably listed the same as the small block Mopar lifters, be assured that the OE design is not the same. But they work. The thing here is the lifter must be able to surpply oil to and through the pushrod.

So, oil through pushrods are next. MoPar has them in there catolog. You may require a custom length other than what they offer.

AMC lifters, oil through pushrods of proper length and ends.

Oh, due note that the rockers are 1.6 and not 1.5 in there ratio.If theres an aftermarket cam in the block now, do some math and clearanceing of the valve gear.

.500 (cam lift) / (divided by) 1.5 (Comando ratio) = .33333333333333333333
.333 X 1.6 (Magnum ratio) = .533, the new lift.

-
Back