need help asap what carb for my motor 600 750?? edelbrock

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
i have a 68 dart 340 motor was rebuilt before i got the car my best guess is close to stock

10 or 10.5 to one
like a mild purple cam
x heads stock intake
elc ing
pretty much just a stockish street rebuild

im looking for a carb i just street drive it and some longer high way trips
not trying to set records

i have a carter 630 on there now LA CAR so has only one adjustment other holes where the adjustment screws are normally are capped and theres noting there to adjust we checked.
I had rebuilt but i have noting but issues with it surging falling on its face idel just randomly dropping off
wont even turn the dame tires over motor sounds mean just makes no power inless you down shift it and stab it then it starts pulling
ive been thru the timing and plugs and wires all new all good
tonight the car decided to run on like 4 cylinders i have n ideal where that came from was not missing or back firing just had no power at all and sounded like a 6 cyl with a 3 on the tree
changed filter to clear one just to check if pump went out thats all good
im gonna try a few other things tomorrow the coil ballest resistor and voltage reg

so im just probably gonna buy a new carb not sure if i should get a 600 or 750 i think a 750 will be to big but im asking the guys who know about this
i was thinking like the 1405 or 1406 carbs any one have complaints on the elc choke burning up or causing issues

thanks

based off of your cubic in's and rough estimate on your max RPM the average cfm for your setup would calculate out to
Street Carb CFM : 501.74 Racing Carb CFM : 649.31

So I think a 1406 would be a good carb for you...thats what I am running and I like them, easy to tune,street friendly,a little easier on gas.

if you were wanting a racier application I am sure you could get away with a 750 and you could probably tune it down a smidge to match your set up.....but for an out of the box bolts on and go done deal I say just snag an eddy 1406

cool thats the same out look i had was the 06 carb but fig i would ask before i leap

your in michigan also right?

so I assume you have an advance autoparts close by?

Ill tell you a little trick that will save you a bunch of money....this is how i got my new carb for my duster.

I went to advanceautoparts.com

in the search bar type in edelbrock 1406

click the link to the eddy 1406 carb, click to add it to your cart.

then in the box that is open for a PROMO CODE.

type in P20

then click apply and it will automatically deduct 20% from the order.

which will take the total from $319.99 down to $255.99 for a total savings of $64.00

then when your finish's your checkout use the "site to store" option....which allows you to take your receipt of purchase down to your local store within an hour after completing your purchase and you can pick up your carb right then and there! no waiting for it to ship to you!

most advance auto's keep the 1406 carbs on the shelf....you can use the website to "check availability" of the part though so you can double check which store local to you has it first so you know which store to do the "site to store" pick up.

hope that helps you save a few bucks! thats how I got mine.

sweet sounds really good i was just told my buddy has one for 100$ ill look at it and see if its as nice as they say or ill just go buy a new one

just remember...any carb that is bought...will need to be tuned for your car...

ya but atleast i can tune it mine is blocked out because it was a cali car
i can run the one air fuel mixture screw fulley in and it wont lean out still smells rich
plus i have this issue now of it only wanting to make 1/4 of the power it should and im almost 100 percent sure it comes back to the carb

was just thumbing thru summit and seen they had they thunder series of the edelbroke
but its like 150$ more any one have input on these or im i just better to get a standard one and adjust that up

I personally have not ran the thunder avs series carbs but I have heard good things.

but if your looking for more of a street/highway cruiser i would just go with the performer series carb.

if you were looking for often track time i would say maybe an avs.

summitracing offers their carbs also.

I have personally owned 2 of them right in a row and both were junk so I just got a refund and went with an eddy 1406 but others have used them and had no problems at all...and they are some really great looking carbs and are designed pretty well also...I just happened to have got 2 bad ones in a row.

I actually had the same problem as you kind of by the sounds of it.

last week i returned my eddy 1406 in exchange for another one because the one I returned I could turn the drivers side F/A mixture screw in and it worked fine but when turning the passenger side I could run it all the way in and out without a change in idle......and when I smashed the gas from a stop under a load the engine would bogg down at about 2k....and when in park or neutral I could smash the gas and it barely wanted to go above 4k. so since it was still on warranty I took it in for a new one and I just now today got around to installing it.

havent got to test it in gear under a load because I have the car on jack stands right now but in park it runs much better....it raps out much faster and will run up to 6k no problem so I am thinking that its all better now.

dont want a holley want the eddy i was just asking about the thunder series just because i seen them in there i actually just picked up a carb from a buddy he took it off his car and went tunnel ram its a 750 eddy but for the price of the parts i gave him that were extras that i needed to move so really free will see how it works
i can alll ways sell it and get a 600 but if i can get it where it needs to be ill run it
any one have any insight on what i may need to do for jettting and such or should i just throw it on and try to get a base tune if i even can sense its a 750

i was all was told ya its a 750 but at idel and not into the secondary's its just as tame as 500cfm not sure if that tru or not

If most people could even explain why they want this brand over that brand I would be amazed.

I know why I like what I like.

If your heart is set on an edelbrock, then so be it....get the 750 and tuning kit..because right out of the box you will need to start tearing into it, changing rods and springs 'just to start.

the closet to good to go eddy carbs that I have run have all been the 600 1405-1406, even then the 1406 needed the minimum of a rod/jet combo spec'd for the 1405......the rest '750 & bigger' have been really lean ootb and short on transition.

good luck and have fun learning

Put the Ede 750 on, screw the A/F screws out 1 1/2 turns, and light it up all the way down the street.

Or put a Holley on and be preparred to futz with it more than a British motorcycle.

good luck op with what ever you choose, but I still say you should get the strip kit with what ever eddy carb you choose.
Thats just real good honest advice, it's all I can give.

Put the Ede 750 on, screw the A/F screws out 1 1/2 turns, and light it up all the way down the street.

Or put a Holley on and be preparred to futz with it more than a British motorcycle.

thats why i hate holley ive had 10 of them and every one was problems blowing power valves leaking here or there i just never had any luck all ways losing tune
plus i want to run all my factory stuff linkages brackets what ever else
dont want to even have to think about brackets and cabels

:-$

they installed pv protection about DECADE AGO, they dont blow out anymore....

they dont use cork gaskets anymore, no more leak..
...and not only that, but most people got the memo that you dont need a 1/2 ratchet to tighten the bowl screws thereby warping the body..

holleys came factory on a lot of mopars, there is a $12 bracket that bolts onto the arm for chryslers....

HMMMMMM......I had to buy a throttle bracket for my 1406 eddy so that it would work correctly on my mopar......so how does your's work without it?

So Im done, good luck op

thats why i hate holley ive had 10 of them and every one was problems blowing power valves leaking here or there i just never had any luck all ways losing tune
plus i want to run all my factory stuff linkages brackets what ever else
dont want to even have to think about brackets and cabels

If you are blowing power valves it is not the carb fault....you engine is out of tune and backfiring back thru the carb....

and yes...they now have a pv protection...

in the end...it is your money do what you want....

eddy is on just like i said i got a 750 with all the linkage from my buddy so i bought zero for a carb that was just runing 2 months ago ill start here and go from there
as far as what i was told is the holleys on a mopar take some fitting and changing of things
i dont know if thats tru or not because i see eddy on them all ever had a chance to really look.

yes power valve blows from back fires thats why i got sick of holly probley 5 to 7 years ago i would lose my tune and get back fires at the track leaving the line to about 60 foot and out went the PV

im not pissing in any ones cheerios about this every one has there own brand and likes
simple as that maybe a holley will go on next but for now ill take the free 750 and try it

yes power valve blows from back fires thats why i got sick of holly probley 5 to 7 years ago i would lose my tune and get back fires at the track leaving the line to about 60 foot and out went the PV

So you think the eddy 750 is going to be easier to tune than a hollley...good luck...

you should have figured out what was causing the backfires.....

that was 20 cars ago and probley more then 5 years really i asked one queston what size carb i dont give a flying nut sack about why i blew power valves right now
im working on a totally different animal

thanks for every one input on what this thread was started for

a flying nut sack probably out run the eddy 750...LOL

your probably but im sure it will run better then not at all with a carter
and once again a new 750 for free its on now time for test drive

Never fails.....threads about eddy carbs everyone says to get a holly and vise versa....same goes for threads about 318 engines everyone will tell you to just get a 360.

hard for people to stay on point but never the less I try to take everyones advise and input and let the rest roll off my shoulders.

I to prefer edelbrock like you do so I can understand your reasoning.....not that holly is necessarily a bad carb I just prefer edelbrock is all.....just like I prefer Parkay butter over land o lakes....not that the other is bad its just what I prefer lol.

also it was mentioned to turn in the mixture screws on the front of the carb but all those really adjust is your base idle not the actual tune of the carb.

going 750 I am sure you will have to mess around with some jets and metering rod combinations and what not to get it just right...but heck....for what you paid for it....go for it.

good luck and hope to see that it did the trick for ya!

eddy 750 ran great car seems like it grabbed another 100 hp lol pulls super hard ideals nice
have little more tuning and plug checking to do before i make the final call on rods and what ever else but for pretty much out of the box and 5 mins of tuning holly crap what a change runs just a tad rich at ideal but not enuff to load it up even so i may be abel to thin her done just a touch more do a run and check the plugs

-
Back