Need help deciding...

-

72demon-777

Reaction score
I bought a 72 /6 Demon this summer and the immediate thought turned to dropping in a 360 and swapping out the rear for an 8 3/4 with 3:55 or 4:10 gears. The car now is all original aside from dual exhaust the previous owner put on and its a pig. I definitely need more power! I just can't decide if I should do a performance upgrade on the slant or just pull it and drop in a nice 360.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

How many horse can I get out of a /6 without dropping tons of money on upgrades?:help:

TIA!

build the slant, while you can never match the power of a 360 you can get plenty enough to have fun driving and the "dare to be different" aspect will get you plenty of attention at your local shows.:thumbup:

You'll hear the name "Clifford" come up, but be very careful before you decide to spend any money with Clifford. They have a long and ugly reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective. The good news is that you don't need to go to Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

I bought a 72 /6 Demon this summer and the immediate thought turned to dropping in a 360 and swapping out the rear for an 8 3/4 with 3:55 or 4:10 gears. The car now is all original aside from dual exhaust the previous owner put on and its a pig. I definitely need more power! I just can't decide if I should do a performance upgrade on the slant or just pull it and drop in a nice 360.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

How many horse can I get out of a /6 without dropping tons of money on upgrades?:help:

TIA!

it really matters what you want from it...

mine is a street driver that can get 20mpg hwy and am nudging the 13's... jut need some good air again...

Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts. As far as what I am looking for, just a clean, fun cruiser to go to local shows more or less. I'm not "trying" to keep it 100% original, I'm adding my own tastes to it here and there hence pondering the 360, but I am not looking to chop it up either.

I just want to be able to paint my street as I upset the neighbors.:burnout:

Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts. As far as what I am looking for, just a clean, fun cruiser to go to local shows more or less. I'm not "trying" to keep it 100% original, I'm adding my own tastes to it here and there hence pondering the 360, but I am not looking to chop it up either.

I just want to be able to paint my street as I upset the neighbors.:burnout:

well then i would do the math and mil the head for a 9.0-.5:1 compression for a nice kick. then do some bowl blending and port work. throw on a offy intake with a 390 carb. also get a bigger cam in the 220-230 @ .050 duration range (comp cams will eat your oil pump gear).

as for the bottom end just freshen it up and replace whats needed... if the oil pressure has always been good just re seal the original oil pump, the new ones have gear failures.

where you can really wake up a slant is the drive train, get a nice stall converter, like 2500, put a shift kit in the 904 to make it shift better as well...

last is ditch the 7.25 (unless you have a big bolt pattern limited slip unit) and throw in a 8.25 or if your lucky a 8.75... if you just drive it street light to street light look 3.91's or so... if you might take trips or something go 3.55 or 3.23...

last what size tire do you run/ want to run? i prefere a nice tall tire so i can fill the wheel well up... but by doing this you need a lower gear to offset the height...

You can probably get about one HP per cube without head porting with really smart parts choices. Maybe a hair more like 230-235 HP. That's probably about it. Port the head and you might can bump 300......I don't know. I'm talking about with pump gas friendly compression of course. Do somethin like a turbo and you can get more.

By the time you build the 360, get a V8 tranny and driveline,radiator, K-frame or mounts, etc....

you could build your /6 like one of these..

Hi-PoSlant6.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDWYS7NU_Q8&feature=relmfu"]Tilley's turbo VC - turbocharged 225ci slant six - YouTube[/ame]

Now THAT is an extreme /6 build if I've ever seen one (which I don;t think I have have)

Thanks for the advice, the links to the perf parts and builds is really interesting, been reading and researching.

I like the idea of being a little different and inventive but I like the idea of loads of low end torque too lol:burnout:

I gots me some thinkin to do

Yeah it's funny in most other parts of the world.....take Australia for example, they aren't as quick to snatch out a 6 in favor of an 8. and you ask um about it and it's like, "well that's what was there, so that's what I built."

Lets see...the Cox Brothers had their slant 6 powered 66 Dart into the 9's befor hitting the wall with it a couple years ago!! If they can "paint" their street with it, I think you could too!! JMO, keep it original, Geof

-
Back