NEED HELP - Digging Dog - What's Best Way To Stop?

-
OK, here's the latest. This morning while I was out on a job interview, my wife watered the flower bed where all of the digging has been and then sprinkled cayenne pepper on the ground (I swear, she used so much the ground was 'red' - I told her we're going to have pepper bushes all over now). Both of us were gone for a couple of hours this afternoon and both dogs were outside the entire time we were gone - no digging!
Woo hoo!!! Let's hope this works.
The big test will be this coming weekend since we're going to be gone most all day both Saturday and Sunday (Spring Fling weekend), only returning home Saturday night.

OC..I have a Husky. My family has raised Huskies. Huskies dig because their bred to dig there enclaves in the snow. best way to slow down the digging is to get another Husky.
Huskies are serious pack animals. If he is the only animal left alone he will suffer from seperation anxiety. If your Husky is male you will never get him to stop completely especially when he is over one year old. Male Husky's are serious Alpha males. You can never train them to completely to obey.

I was waiting for someone to point out the snow dog thing about digging. It is in their DNA. My Roo is part Husky (mostly the digging part). We've done the poo in the hole and it seems to work. Gonna try the pepper deal, although when she was a pup, I used apple bitter on the coffee table to keep her from chewing on it, might as well have poured maple syrup on it......

No new digging for 2 days now - cayenne pepper seems to be working.
But this morning she decided to 'gut' a pillow in our bedroom. Didn't damage the pillow cover (it was a decorative sham on the bed), just 'gutted' to pillow and left the pillow casing inside the decorative cover. I never thought so much could come out of standard size pillow.
Took her in to the scene of the 'kill', swatted her butt with a newspaper for the loud noise effect (cannot penetrate Husky fur density), covered her face with pillow 'guts' just to make her uncomfortable, and rattled the can very loudly while sternly telling her 'BAD DOG' and 'NO'. Sure hope she learns English soon!

Poo' thing worked wonders on my Yellow Lab. He has such an aversion to his own poo' he wont grab a toy that is near it. He will paw it away and then maybe he will pick it up! LOL
Right around the time I noticed him digging, I also realized he had the aversion to his own mess. Put the trick to work and he hasn't touched the hole he started into the neighbors yard! LOL

My neighbor has a monster sized pitt bull that loved to dig under the fence to come over and play with my female shepherd until they passed out in their water bowls, but he got tired of his dog digging so he ran one of those bare wire electric cables about 6" from ground level and 3" away from the fence.
It did not take long for him to learn, maybe one or two jolts and ever since he will just sit two or three feet away from the fence and whine when he see's me or wishes he could play with my dog.
ZThe owner felt bad he could not play with my dog so he went out and got a mutt lab mix pup to play with and they have a good time.

poop in the hole worked for my female dachshund/terrier mix, as far as digging under the fence, i dug down, made a form, and poured a concrete curbing under the pickets all the way around the perimeter of the back yard. this did the trick for harriet houdini as i was calling her. she didnt like the concrete feeling on her claws while digging i suppose. dogs dont like being alone, they do get bored, but want to please you and do good.

my girlfriends cat who my dog does get along with had kittens, and i picked one out to keep for myself. the two of them are best buddies. my dog hates most cats except this one kitten. this is her cat, LOL. now the cat is full grown, they chase each other, wrestle, and even sleep together. really wierd, but gives me a good feeling seeing them interact.

hope this helps
matt

We had an Irish Setter when I was a kid. She was not a hole digger, but liked to dig under the fence and wander thru the neighborhood. My Dad owned a gutter business. He had me dig a foot deep trench just inside the fence and we burried a gutter upside down. Want to talk about entertaining. For the rest of her life every now and then she would have a go at getting out, but never did....

-
Back