Need help for rear axle swap

-

Bmsjax

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my stock axle from my '70 duster. But I dont know what I can and cannot use. For example on Craigslist I see a 8 1/4" axle outta a '91 Jeep with a width of 61.5 inches. Would this work?

It would be too wide you would have to shorten it. What kind of build are you after? 8 1/4 is fine but in my opinion if you are going to go through the trouble of cutting one down and dumping money into it get a 8 3/4

it would be much easier (IMO) to get a diff out of another A Body. Sure the 8.75 ones are out there but they are pricey but there are still plenty of 8.25 A Body units out there. There are chingo's of 8.25's out there in A & M Bodies that don't require much to install.

Its got a 318 in it now but I have a 360 sittin here, not sure which I'll end up using but 350HP either way. Would a 8.25 hold up to that. I see most say 'no' but a few on here are sayin theirs does it....

I see that 57 1/8 is the correct length, is that correct?

What about a Chevy 12 bolt(truck) rear end? Had one in my old truck and it held up to the 300+HP just fine. I see one with a width of 58 1/4. Though parts were hard to find for those...

The rear track, that is the measurement from the center of left tire to center of right tire, was 55 inches. The brake backing plate to backing plate measurement was approximately 50-52 inches. Hope this helps. Try a B-Body 8 3/4 rear.

Would a 8.25 hold up to that. I see most say 'no' but a few on here are sayin theirs does it.... 350 H.P. is no problem for the 8.25....

If you want the large bolt pattern and want an 8-3/4 rear affordably, use a pre-'71 B-body diff. You just do not want the real old type with the keyed axles (pre '66 I think). You will need to move the spring perches in a little, and the driveshaft will have to be shortened, but other than that it is a bolt in. Make sure you get the shock plates and u-bolts from the donor car, they are larger than your 7-1/4. Mopar Performance has new spring perches you can order them from summit I think.

I did this swap on my 71 Duster and was very happy with it. Stock wheels and tires fit fine, if you want to go really wide withthe tires you will need a wheel with more backspacing.

The best part of the swap was the low cost--$150 for a complete rear end, about $10 for the spring perches, and $65 to have the drivehsaft shortened.

The F/M/J body 8¼ has an acceptable width. The spring perches are ½" too wide on each side.

The 64-66 Mustang/Falcon axle is a perfect fit. Watch out, a bunch of them used 4 bolt wheels.

The Ford Grenada/Mercury Monarch (75-80) rear axles also fit without alteration of the spring perches. The gold standard of this bunch has to be the Lincoln Versailles (77-80). In addition to 4.5" bolt pattern & the correct spring perch spacing, it had disk brakes.

If someone bashes you for using a Ford rear, tell 'em to write the check (for a Mopar sourced rear axle) and you'll swap it out.

8.25 will easily take 350 or even 400 hp. No need to go spending money on a rear end you don't need. BBP 8.25 also offers the ability to go to Jeep 11" rear disc brakes for very little money.

PM me your email and I'll send you an PDF article that Rick E-berg did in Mopar Action regarding the 8.25. I haven't been able to find the actual article online, but I scanned the original when I got the magazine way back when (2004).

The F/M/J body 8¼ has an acceptable width. The spring perches are ½" too wide on each side.

The 64-66 Mustang/Falcon axle is a perfect fit. Watch out, a bunch of them used 4 bolt wheels.

The Ford Grenada/Mercury Monarch (75-80) rear axles also fit without alteration of the spring perches. The gold standard of this bunch has to be the Lincoln Versailles (77-80). In addition to 4.5" bolt pattern & the correct spring perch spacing, it had disk brakes.

If someone bashes you for using a Ford rear, tell 'em to write the check (for a Mopar sourced rear axle) and you'll swap it out.

Your talkin about the 8.8? I see a few around here for a decent price and will probably go with one of them. True I would prefer to stick with Mopar parts, but a good part is a good part dont matter who made it.

Your talkin about the 8.8? I see a few around here for a decent price and will probably go with one of them. True I would prefer to stick with Mopar parts, but a good part is a good part dont matter who made it.

I was thinking more about the 9". If the 8.8 is ok with you and is from one of the model and year combinations I listed in the earlier post, it will fit. Check the e-brake cables just to make sure you know what you're getting into.

-
Back