Need Help Getting a box (Parts) to a fellow FABO Member

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a favor to ask. I am trying to get a rather large box containing a hood for a 38' Plymouth to FABO member (Giles) 340 Butterduster. He purchased this hood from a guy here in N.C. who was not willing to ship it to him in Canada. So I stepped in and drove to this guy's shop and got the hood, but I am finding it hard to ship this due to weight and costs for international shipping. So anyway my thought here is I have to travel to Massachusetts in a couple of weeks to pack up my Mother In Law and move her to North Carolina and I was thinking I could bring this hood in the box with me and either try to ship from Massachusetts to Canada where the distance would be closer and maybe cut down on the shipping costs, or the alternative would be to see if there was a fellow FABO member from the Massachusetts area who would be willing to take this package and kind of "Pass it on" and find another FABO member to get it closer to the border and eventually into Canada. I really do not know what else to do at this point as I have had this hood in my possession since June.Giles 340 Butterduster is not in a hurry to get this part but he does eventually need it. Please if anyone out here can assist in this it would be a great thing to help out a fellow FABO brother. Would need to have a FABO members assist in this only. No offense to anyone else out here reading this but I am responsible for getting this hood to this guy.

well if its needed ... i have somoene in Port Huron, MI and i could get it from his house into Canada and possibly make a long road trip to Baden.

The box is about 25 "- 30" Tall by about 3 to 3 1/2 feet long. It is packed up in a cooktop box which fit a 42" Cooktop so the box is around 45" long by about 25-30" tall and weighs around 60 lbs (Ballpark Weight) Giles lives in Baden,Ont. Can.

Yeah but the customs charges is a beetach
They can be. As long as you have the sales receipt for less then $200 (i believe its still the same) for a day trip. Canada Customs will not charge you the tax.

tax on 13% is added to the price of the sale. So $26 would be paid towards customs on $200

Mailing an order they charge what is on the value of the product. Unless they believe the item is worth more then whats stated on the packaging.

Yeah but the customs charges is a beeatch

Duties and taxes will be the same no matter how it's shipped.

Brokerage charges are the ones you need to avoid. That's where UPS hurts you. Does Greyhound charge brokerage too?

I am located partway betwee Baden and Kingston, so if the hood makes its way up into Eastern Ontario, I may be able to help.

BTW Gryzynx as far as I know Greyhound will not cross borders with the stuff, so I would imagine there would be no broker fees

try a company called Forward Air Freight they have terminals all over and are not very expensive i have used them a number of times to ship large parts

I still am trying to figure out some way of getting this hood to Canada. I will try Foward Freight. Anyone know the phone number for this company?

If you can get someone to pick it up, ship it Greyhound to a location close to the Canadian border. Then a Canadian member that is close can pick it up and transport it across the border, pay the taxes at customs and then Bus it to Giles in Baden. I'm sure Giles would be willing to pay up front for the shipping.

Jack

I have a US shipping address in Fraser, MI that it can be shipped to. I can then bring it across. I could then ship it Giles or he can come down and get it. PM me, I'm willing to work it out with you.

Riddler

Dustermaniac,give me a p.m. with the exact measurements, address and postal code of where its going i live in Mass. if you can get it up here i'll ship i work for Fed-Ex...

Just an FYI - FedEX, UPS and other shipper's charger a broker fee to bring items into Canada. Sometimes they are 40% of the value.

Riddler

Thanks for all the help on this guys!!!!! I will get back with you Stroked about trying to get you the box. I will be driving up to Massachusetts on the weekend of the 24th -27th to move my mother in law down here. Are you located in Massachusetts? If so, please let me know where, I will be in Fall River but I am going up through Boston to Lynn to see my friend and to visit my mother's grave. If you are anywhere near these points or even off of 128, I could meet you.

Hey dustermaniac

Ship the hood to the following address in Port Huron, MI. and I will get it to my bud Giles. I will be going that way in a few weeks and will make sure he gets it.

Derrick Nowe-SCC
2540 Lapeer Ave.
Port Huron, MI.

Thanks for all the help on this guys!!!!! I will get back with you Stroked about trying to get you the box. I will be driving up to Massachusetts on the weekend of the 24th -27th to move my mother in law down here. Are you located in Massachusetts? If so, please let me know where, I will be in Fall River but I am going up through Boston to Lynn to see my friend and to visit my mother's grave. If you are anywhere near these points or even off of 128, I could meet you.

Yep..right off of rt. 128.......

-
Back