Need help identifying shifter- Hurst Compe Plus

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
The complexities and mixed origins of this car continue to unfold...

I have a shifter that I bought of a member here that looks like it's been heavily modified on the shift handle side. I know it was hooked up to the A833 that I bought with it, and I know it rows through all of the gears just fine. The problem I'm having is that I'd like to replace the shift handle but I can't see where any of the aftermarket handles with the two mounting holes would bolt up. Would I need to cut this handle off at the base, reweld a 2"-3" section of steel to act as a mounting plate, drill two holes, and then mount the new handle? Or is this a different variety of shifter altogether? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2414.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2415.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2418.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2421.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 255
Hard to tell, that looks like an OEM shifter, IE SOME of the OEM shift handles slipped into a socket, not bolted on.

The problem with bolt on shifters/ handles, is that they MUST have the serrations to mate each other, otherwise the handle will work loose

In the photo below, you can see the serrations. The guy is evidently going to use whatever that thing is at the top. He WILL have trouble with it coming loose

226361_10150199042997628_779837627_6997975_8307354_n.jpg

Below is an OEM clip in handle. It fits in a rubber lined socket, and these always had a little bit of play and felt a little sloppy.

000_1927.jpg

Here's a drawing from the '70 service manual, showing the clip - in style shift lever

1zvpy7s.jpg

I could add a serrated section using a die grinder or careful use of a cut-off wheel. Also, nylon nuts and loctite help to keep almost anything from working loose. Thanks for that second picture of the OEM shift handle. That's the first one I've seen taken out.

I think I'm going to cut the aftermarket weld and use heat to straighten the rod and bolt an aftermarket handle on...or I'll just buy a new shift boot that will hopefully cover it up lol.

I have seen this before on older shifters, the bolt going through the handle from front to back is I believe holding it on, newer shifters used the two hole pattern. I had one of these in a 67 cougar 4 speed car, changed the handle out by cutting the bottom off the old one and welding to the new handle, weld was cover4ed by the boot, my 2 cents.

-
Back