Need help identifying this spindle

-

deviledchin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this not knowing exactly what I was looking at while at Carlisle. The guy thought it was for an a-body disc brake set up as he had a 68 hemi dart in the past but he couldn't remember. I was going to have it as a spare for a 71 disc brake set up on my demon and thought they were the same. Wrong! Anyway, I don't see any numbers on it other than 18 70 83.

The guy only had mopars and specifically said a-body but did the hemi cars have a different spindle than 68-71 set up?

Does anyone recognize this spindle by chance at least so I know what it goes to?

I didn't pull any measurements, but I can on Tuesday if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

20190829_160030.jpg

20190829_160018.jpg

20190829_160102.jpg

20190829_160157.jpg

I bought this not knowing exactly what I was looking at while at Carlisle. The guy thought it was for an a-body disc brake set up as he had a 68 hemi dart in the past but he couldn't remember. I was going to have it as a spare for a 71 disc brake set up on my demon and thought they were the same. Wrong! Anyway, I don't see any numbers on it other than 18 70 83.

The guy only had mopars and specifically said a-body but did the hemi cars have a different spindle than 68-71 set up?

Does anyone recognize this spindle by chance at least so I know what it goes to?

I didn't pull any measurements, but I can on Tuesday if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

View attachment 1715388067

View attachment 1715388068

View attachment 1715388069

View attachment 1715388070
Looks like a standard drum brake one to me. Give me a few and I'll run out to the shop and dig out mine. But i'm 80% sure those are drum brake ones

Yep, drum brake spindle. The disc brake spindle has a protrusion with two holes in it for the caliper mount.

Last edited:
Here is what it looks like from the rear . Note the two tabs to hold the caliper. I have a bunch in the shed that I will take better pictures of so you have a reference. The one you bought is a drum brake spindle for 10 inch brakes

DSCN0797.JPG

Thanks, That was going to be my next question as I thought there were small and large drum set ups.

this is a 67-72 A-body spindle. The spindles are the same . The hubs are different from early to late

Actually it's a 65-72 A body disc brake spindle.
65-66 A body cars got disc brakes, too.

What do you mean the HUBS are different from early to late?
All disc brake hubs are the same from 65-72.
There's no difference in any of them, in all the years.

Last edited:
I never saved any parts pre 67 So I did not know.

As far as the hubs. Look at the pictures they don't lie . I have several rotors for A-bodies and several hubs. I just removed some rotors for hubs for" bigboy 68" that he didn't take. I remove two and glass beaded them and noticed they were different. So I had to go out and take another one off. They were also different diameter. Never think you know it all when it comes to mopar. If your young you'll have a lot to learn. I am 64 and still learning

They also use two different axles. Some are easy to make Big bolt. Some take some time with an indexer. I have picture of the difference also

DSCN1318.JPG

DSCN1319.JPG

Well then, if that's the case, i never had any reason to put one year hub, side by side with another year hub.
They all work the same, in the real world of things.
And FYI.
I'm older than you. :rolleyes:

Well then, if that's the case, i never had any reason to put one year hub, side by side with another year hub.
They all work the same, in the real world of things.
And FYI.
I'm older than you. :rolleyes:
In age or knowledge? I never put them side by side either until the day before Carlisle. I said they were different . But you needed to state I was wrong even though you didn't know. You didn't even look at the pictures before you assumed and stated I was wrong. Are you sure they all work the same. Or are you just assuming again.

You are wrong again, After I saw the difference I investigated why. But now you figure it out. God forbid I try and give some info to you all. As I told Dave today and he and others that come here said the same. Paying for the gold membership on here isn't really worth the time anymore. I do it for the extra PM's stored which I stopped answering most of them anyway.

Some new members don't know and don't think they know it all. I learn something new every day. I always said if you really know Mopars you will agree never say never.

Well, oldman, seems like you didn't know that 65-66 cars are disc braked, and i didn't know there are machining differences in hubs.
So then, were both dumbbells.
And no, what's the difference in hubs then?
They both fit rotors, and then the spindles?
And i ain't got a clue, who this guy "Dave" is that your referring to.

1969383valiant. he comes here every weekend. Years back I owned many 64 and 65 GT's. I put big blocks in . They all were drum brakes. The old saying was leave the drums on less drag and weight. We all learn everyday in our lives. It was like an old home made go cart I had with the metal against the tire for brakes. You could not stop it when the roads were wet. Ask me how I know

The large hub does not fit the rotor from the small hub. I believe they came off of a 67 273 commando 4spd GT I stripped That is the only car I believe they could have came from. They are all 70-72 cars that I stripped except that GT.

025.jpg

Last edited:
Purdy interestin stuff. Thanks yall.

Here is a 67 axle from that GT next to a 70. The 67 does not have balance holes. easy to make Big bolt

DSCN1324.JPG

Wait a minute here.
Your trying to tell me there are different diameter openings in rotors for hubs to fit into?
That's not true, and i would totally disagree with you on that.
You check Rock Auto, Bendix, Wagner, Centric, and there is only one aftermarket rotor sold for any 65-72 disc brake set up.
You know how many rotors that i have replaced on these brakes, in all the years that i have been rebuilding them, then putting them up for sale.
You may, or may not know my work in the for sale section on this forum.
Just sold the set up that i had advertised, this morning, as a matter of fact.
Didn't have any difficulties, pressing the studs into new rotors and the hubs, that i have ever bought, when exchanging new rotors, on any year hub.
Hubs fit any rotor.
What are you trying to tell me, (us) here about hubs, then?
I don't get it?

-
Back