Need Help IDing a camshaft

-

bmw88rider

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've got a 273 that was built in the mid to late 80's. I had the manifold off today while resealing the intake manifold and got a good look at the camshaft that was in it. It sure looks like it is one of the mopar performance purple shaft cams. I'm trying to figure it out because I really think it should have hydraulic lifters and not the solid lifters that are currently in it. The car has never run 100% right so I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

Here are some pictures. The is also a yellow mark on rear of the cam by the journal closest to the firewall.

I know you all may not be able to tell the specs. I just really want to know if it's an MP cam or not. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_20140223_115817_759.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20140223_115831_226.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 95
Is it me or are the first few lobes of the camshaft purple in-between? Or is the camera playing tricks with us?

It LOOKS like the color Mopar used, but there's only one problem. Several other cam companies used similar colors. Best thing to do is remove a valve cover and get a reading of the lift off a valve spring retainer. Also, if you have a degree wheel, you can pretty much map the whole thing out yourself.

It's not you. They are purple. That is what got me scratching my head because I've only seen MP cams with purple in the cast sections.

Did Mopar make a purple shaft in solid?

If they did, that's what you may have.

I've always used hydraulic, and never paid attention to the solid cam selections.

-
Back