Need Help on a Flywheel

-

southerneagle

Reaction score
OK I have a 1964 Dodge D100 it's a factory /6 with 3 speed on the tree.
I got it without an engine and plan on putting in a 8-18-65 273cid, I still have the 3 speed trans. and the bell housing has the multi bolt holes in it.
The flywheel I have does not mate up to the crank with the bellhousing bolted up, it's about a 1/4 inch away from the crankshaft. Come to find out the flywheel is for a 1978 dodge truck. Does anyone know which flywheel I need or do I need a different bellhousing? Thanks for any advise.

See if the bell housing will bolt up to the V8 without a flywheel first. If it does, get a V8 flywheel the same diameter, offset, and ring gear tooth count to bolt in there. If the bell housing doesn't fit, get a complete small block 3 speed bell pack out of a pickup around the same year. A 6cyl. flywheel has a different bolt pattern than a V8. Check to see if the 273 crank is machined for a pilot bushing or you'll have to get one made or the crank machined out to the proper diameter.

Thank you for all of the info!!
You need to find a flywheel from a 1964-1967 truck, if you reuse the cast iron bellhousing. they have a much larger ring gear. I think its like 174 teeth or close to that, simular to a hemi flywheel, This is the only way the starter will work. then you have to use the original direct drive starter. Having just put a 318 in my 67 reusing the old bellhousing I can say that I would never do it again. Go get a newer bellhousing w/ newer flywheel and starter, then scrap the cast iron boat anchor.

-
Back