Need Help Quick. 400 stroker build or 440?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
I have a line on two cores. one a 400 and one a 440 both the same price.
I will stroke them both.
I am either going to go 511 with the 400 or 540 with the 440.0
I am buying the blocks on Sunday. I know the in's and out's of both I just need to know what would be better in a super light big tire street car with an auto.
All my current bolt on parts are 440. but I can sell them.
Pump gas.

On one hand, The 400 will be lighter.
On the other hand the 440 to 540 has a good bit more torque overcoming the weight difference and then some I think.

400 to 451 is cheaper to build than buying a stroker kit for a 440

440 stroked will give more power

what is the car? if it's a 67 & up A body you have more room. 440's about 1/2 or 3/4 inch taller

either or will put a load on the drive train. what's underneath?

the money is not the biggest issue.
I have tons of room to put what ever I need in the car.
I just want a solid hp machine with big torque.
this is my old bracket cuda. it has got more fiberglass than steel left on it.
The drive trail will hold what ever I through at it.
my main question is-- is a faster rapping 400-500 stoker better in a light car than a lower rmp, slower spinning 540 torque monster?

The extra 40 cubes is not a huge deal on e you get to a certain point. Point being what is being put into it in what weight car seeking what mind of performance?
The extra weight and stroke length are not a big factor in the street. Yea, it'll rev up slower which could be the off set In a otherwise apple to Apple comparison. Though with that in mind, to off set the small diff., you would make changes accordingly. Perhaps as simple as a lower ratio gear set or taller tire or both.

The question is splitting a hair from where I see it. I'm not sure I can say which side of the split hair is thicker.

These open ended questions are fun for us it let's our imagination run wild but there not very helpful for you to make a decision with. People need to be very specific of what there trying to accomplish, is it for a certain race class, general street strip, street, daily driver, weekend cruiser, long or short distance etc.....
How streetable? Drop it in and forget, tinker a couple times a year, month, week, day. How much gear, cam, stall etc.. are you willing to live with. How much horsepower, what powerband (rpms)?
511-540 are usually built for very serious horsepower numbers 600-900 plus. You could build a sub 500 hp 540 if you want something that has a powerband of a truck engine. 540 need some serious airflow, take a 273 there heads are not know for huge airflow numbers but per cubic they out flow any stock non hemi mopar V8. A 540 would need to flow about 350 cfms to match a 273 per cubic airflow.
And don't forget you also need to get all this torque to the ground I'd be looking to build a 451-48? B engine unless you need stupid power levels :)

My goals are roughly: big torque, wide curve, 650+hp, fast spin, pump gas, sub 6500 rpm, sub 4k stall, 4.10 gear on 32x14.5 tires, super lite car, all out street beast.. I will maybe drive the car 3 times a month in weather +50 and under 90 degrees. I dont mind the maintenance.
I am 99% sure I am going to make a 400/512 engine.

My vote: 400 based. Lighter reciprocationg mass. Better rod ratio too (been said when I was building up a 451) either is going to go up in smoke in a light car.

I have a line on two cores. one a 400 and one a 440 both the same price.
I will stroke them both.
I am either going to go 511 with the 400 or 540 with the 440.0
I am buying the blocks on Sunday. I know the in's and out's of both I just need to know what would be better in a super light big tire street car with an auto.
All my current bolt on parts are 440. but I can sell them.
Pump gas.

The 400 block will take over 800 hp, the 440 will be pushing it over 650 hp. The 440 main webs are weak. A 512 motor (400 block, 4.25 x 4.375) with the right goodies will over power most any tire on the street, so, the cube difference just isn't a big deal. For all out racing, the heads will dictate the power more than the difference of 28 cubes. As far as rpm, If you want max power at 6500, then a small port head like an SR will make great torque, and the 440-1 heads will move the torque peak up a fair amount, but will make more hp. As far as rpm, if properly done a street strip motor can handle 6800 from time to time and live a decent life. That would allow the bigger heads with a little less duration on the cam.

I Have Opted for a 383 over The 440 with Indy Heads Just have to Work out The Build Specs

either one of these combos is going to take one hell of a cooling system to stay cool on the street. i think the 451 is a nice combo that in your car could go into the 9's easily. my dads 451 has box stock eddy rpm heads with a mild solid mech. cam. car goes 10.70s in a full street trim demon weighing 3300lbs. a well built 451 with 440-1 heads and a good solid roller is gonna be knocking on the 600hp door easily. that and with the 512 and 540 kits dont you have to go external oiling?

Great choice! You won't regret it. The 4.15 stroke B motor I built in 1998 is still going strong, after running three seasons at 725 hp drag racing, shifting at 6900 rpm. It went to another owner, who put nitrous to it and it still lives.

-
Back