Need help transferring 74 block parts into my new 89 block

-

Owen Diaz

Reaction score
Had a 74 360 running good but unfortunately it threw a rod and now I’m back to rebuilding and bought an 89 block without knowing that’s it’s a hydraulic roller cam instead of flat tappet now I was just looking to know if and how I can use the flat tappet cam,lifters etc from my 74 in my 89 block I was told something about having to send push rods to the machine shop

Had a 74 360 running good but unfortunately it threw a rod and now I’m back to rebuilding and bought an 89 block without knowing that’s it’s a hydraulic roller cam instead of flat tappet now I was just looking to know if and how I can use the flat tappet cam,lifters etc from my 74 in my 89 block I was told something about having to send push rods to the machine shop
everything will go in (the cam/lifters) the deck height should be the same. but check your pushrod length when it gets to that point.. the 89 is still a LA block just with the roller lifter bosses (i want one of those blocks bad) I believe the deck height didn't change til 93 or whenever actual magnums came out.

I am not a expert though.. someone will chime in if i'm wrong

The roller engines push rods are shorter, so you should be able to use the push rods out of the tappet engine.

I’m planning on using the heads from the 74 engine if I can if not then I might have to order a set any reccomendations
What's the casting number on the 89 heads? If they are closed chamber you may want to use those. Hardened seats as well. I know that the 74 heads are open chamber and non hardened seats.

I believe this is what you’re asking for

IMG_6258.png

I’m planning on using the heads from the 74 engine if I can if not then I might have to order a set any reccomendations
I would also do everything in my power to use the roller cam valve train. It's a big plus in many ways.

I would also do everything in my power to use the roller cam valve train. It's a big plus in many ways.

I have to agree with this. I am far from a HR fan but for the OP he would be miles ahead to do the HR, especially if he has the lifters that came out of the 89 block.

Its been 20 years or so since I priced OE HR lifters but back then they were really reasonable cost wise.

I have to agree with this. I am far from a HR fan but for the OP he would be miles ahead to do the HR, especially if he has the lifters that came out of the 89 block.

Its been 20 years or so since I priced OE HR lifters but back then they were really reasonable cost wise.
Have the lifters that came out of 89 block but that’s about it would need to buy cam push rods,etc

Can you please explain how is it a plus? Wouldn’t I have to replace cam lifters and everything to fit a roller cam
Isn't you newer engine a roller block? How complete is it? Does it still have the stock roller cam and valve train?

Have Oregon Cams regrind that stock roller cam into a nice moderate performance profile for not much money.

Isn't you newer engine a roller block? How complete is it? Does it still have the stock roller cam and valve train?
Yes and I have lifters and a stock cam shaft which if I went with the hydraulic roller set up I’d probably change to something similar I had on my flat tappet set up

Yes and I have lifters and a stock cam shaft which if I went with the hydraulic roller set up I’d probably change to something similar I had on my flat tappet set up
That's what I would do. You can get your factory cam reground. I wouldn't hesitate using the roller block and valve train.
I believe this is what you’re asking for

View attachment 1716103648
Not the right number. The casting number is cast in the head and not stamped. The 360 should end in 308.

head casting number.jpeg

They look like 915's. A 340/360 head with 1.88/1.60 valves. They did use that casting number on the TA heads as well with a 2.02 intake valve. #3418915

They look like 915's. A 340/360 head with 1.88/1.60 valves. They did use that casting number on the TA heads as well with a 2.02 intake valve. #3418915
Yea I was told they were J heads, quick question if I want to use the hydraulic roller set up would I have to get new heads

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to stick with the flat tappet set up and just swap everything to the 89 block?

-
Back