Need help trying to setup 4-speed conversion

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am at a lost here with trying to setup the 4-speed conversion in my 68 notch :angryfir: Here is what I am using, 400 big block with Schumacher mounts, Schumacher headers, Lakewood bellhousing and all my 4 speed parts came from Brewers. I am at a lost trying to get the ball studs to line up and the Z-bar to clear the bell housing and header flange, seems like no mater what I do there is way way it will clear everything ](*,) . It looks like the frame/inner fender ball stud will only go in one postion with the excisting hole and frame support bracket from Brewers but what about the ball stud bracket for the bell housing and Z-bar:dontknow: Could the problem be the Lakewood bell housing with the Schumachers headers :dontknow: I sure hope the problem is the not the Schumacher headers, I thought these were the best fitting header for a big block conversion in a A-body and especailly with a 4-speed:dontknow: Not real happy with them to start with since I had to do some clearancing for my mini starter already :angryfir:
Please :help::help::help::help::help:

I had to modify the ball bracket for the Lakewood bell on my s.b.I had to raise it 1 inch,so it would be striaght inline to function properly.Good luck.

Just commented on your other thread, Ditto to the ones above. I scraped the Lakewood back then, because I didn't have availibility to a welder to fabricate a fix. but I do remember the problem seemed to be with the Bell and the alignment with z-bar back to the clutch fork. let me know what happens, I just purchased another lakewood and ready to give it another try.

I used a Lakewood but it has two different areas to mount the torque shaft. After Shumacher headers and torque shaft interference issues I finally scrapped it altogether and went to a hydraulic clutch. I`ve heard of some people having to install the torque shaft somewhat canted to get it to fit.

Has anybody thought of or looked at modifying the Schumacher headers to work with the Z-bay?? Sounds like they are making a set to clear all 4-speed stuff now so must be way. Anybody got any pics of how the new ones are modified?? I am going to look into that this weekend and see if that will be any easier.:dontknow::dontknow:

-
Back