Need help with engine info

-

California Dart

Dont List Websites Here
Reaction score
As many of you know I've been pulling my hair out trying to find out why my brand new re-built 318 is still vibrating. We have done everything we could and I may have to put this Re-builder on the spot soon.

Does anyone know where I can get some documentation stating that a 318 should or must be internally "balanced" when it's rebuilt?

Any reputable documentation will be REAL helpfull for me to print out and use to enforce my position when I take this back or use in court.

and thanks to all who have given advise on this problem I have. My goal is to get this A body to run, drive and handle as good and the best ones out there. This engine re-build has really taken it's toll on my head.

Must? No. However any publication from MoPar will tell you that it is a internal balance engine that use's a neutral balanced flywheel/torque converter and harmonic balancer. If these parts were surpplied to the builder as exactly what the engine calls for as stock or stock balanced in a hi-po engine build, the builder should see this easy as the eyes looking back at him in the mirror.

You would have to actually not only be blind, but truly numb in the hands not to know the differenc in the harmonic balancer differences. That part alone, would dictate the build as internally balanced.

IF the builder did not discuss the balancing of the engine with you, then not balacing the engine internally is a no brainer and a given.

The only time a question of balance should arise is if he asks you if you want him to balance it or someone else.

Every 318 has been a internal balance engine since the begning when it was a poly engine until it ended it's run as a Magnum engine.

All the above is documented in the MoPar engines book, a basic book for any builder period.

Scewing up a engine balance is something that should never happen unless the balace job is moved out of the builders hands into anothers.

Good luck with this

-
Back