Need help with H2O/front cover assembly.

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
I'm starting without any front cover, water pump, brackets, etc.

Bought this '74 318 without any of that stuff. I am assembling this with an assortment of parts from different engines.

So...am I close on this front cover/ water pump assembly?

I have a Saginaw power steering pump in stock.

Anyone have a good photo showing how this all go together? My service manual was not much help.

Seems I missed one bolt behind the water pump...going to have to remedy that next time I'm in the shop.

12/18 hour workdays kinda sap my ability to be working on this deal everyday.

Thanks

IMG_20240804_220803267.jpg

IMG_20240804_220753387.jpg

You're on the right path- you're just missing the triangular piece of the alternator bracket.
1722829208818.png

For what it's worth, be VERY careful with the driver's side bolts going into the block- don't use a bolt that's any longer than necessary, and thread them in by hand initially to make sure they're not going to bottom out. Those bolts go into the water jacket (which you should use sealer on during final assembly, by the way) and if they are too long they can bottom out against the inside of #1 cylinder and potentially crack it. Not good.

I have the triangular piece...now I know where it goes.

I did have a longer bolt in one hole of the front cover...replaced it with a shorter one. Thanks.

BTW this is a late '73 engine going in my '65 Coronet.

I'm going to dress it out before I install it in the car.

After the manifolds go on it will sit on my rolling steel bench and get the flywheel, clutch and transmission installed.

Last edited:
Check your radiator and see if your water pump outlet is on the correct size. 65 to 73 may be different?

BTW this is a late '73 engine going in my '65 Coronet
The reason I asked is there are 2 water pumps which require different front accessory brackets.

Also depending on the water pump style the lower radiator hose location might need to be moved. Cast iron - drivers side, aluminum - pass side

Big change in all that between 1969 and 1970. The big deal is to match all the components: timing cover, water pump, harmonic balancer and the radiator and brackets. I've just been helping a guy who bought a 72 Duster with a 69 340. 69 front cover and balancer with 72 water pump and radiator - result is the drivers side lower radiator hose covers the timing marks, so he can't time the engine (OOPS!!!).

Here's my new conundrum.... I may have answered my own question late in my comments but I would value your opinions.

I made this to post on FBBO but I thought I'd pester you guys first!

BTW I'm dropping off my radiator at the shop tomorrow AM to have the outlet moved to the passenger side.

The power steering pump is another change between 1969 and 1970. Driver side water outlet means that the PS pump is mounted really high. 70 and up with the passenger side lower hose uses a timing cover with integral timing scale on the drivers side.

DSC00400.JPG
DSC00401.JPG
DSC00402.JPG
DSC00435.JPG
DSC00436.JPG

Looks like I'm going to have to find a different pump mount...I may have something here. Gotta look.

Thanks for the pix.

Drivers side timing and passenger side timing require matching harmonic balancers because the timing mark on the balancer is in a VERY different place to match where the scale is...

Is there a driver's side timing scale cast into your timing cover? Those high mount PS pumps are for Drivers side lower hoses and you are switching to passenger side lower hose, right?

Drivers side timing and passenger side timing require matching harmonic balancers because the timing mark on the balancer is in a VERY different place to match where the scale is...
I'm using a post '69 timing cover and balancer.

The engine is a 10/73 production deal.

I don't have any '69 or earlier parts so I'm moving the stock '65 lower hose to the passenger side.

I never had to worry about alt and pwr steering brackets on my recent race engines since we just run two belts between the crank and water pump.

The power steering pump/alky fuel pump runs off a rear mount on the bellhousing via a belt that runs off the trans input shaft. Simple.

Well I figured out I'm missing two of the brackets for the power steering pump...the two top ones.

I think my Saginaw pump will work ok but I have to find the correct pulley...I'll work on that tonite as long as I'm not working until midnite.

14-18 hour workdays are tuff on this old man.

-
Back