Need help with idler arm ID

-

19_Dart_68

Reaction score
Part number cast into it looks like 3402844 N18077
It came off my dart, but the steering was changed to a fast ratio setup with a C body manual box, a Mid-70's B-body Pitman arm and this idler arm. Not sure if the center link was changed.

The new idler arm that was ordered(for 74 Dart) is crooked, compared to the straight one that came off.

20230517_192611.jpg

20230517_192831.jpg

20230517_193115.jpg

As long as it fits (proper taper, sleeve), as long as the length is same, and it puts the center link parallel to the car "level" side to side, I'd try it.

My understanding is, that people were selling fast ratio pitman arms without selling a matching idler, so in those cases the pitman did not match the idler.

Actually both idler arms fit the 1974 Abodies. Casting number 3402844 is the factory original idler arm. Moog made two idler arms in the 1970's.The standard design which looks like the original Chrysler idler arm and a high performance idler arm which looks like your "crooked" idler arm, part number K7086. The Moog standard design arm was discontinued many years ago and the high performance one is still being produced.

Last edited:
As long as the streight line distance ( blue lines) are the same

Screenshot_20230517-212446.png

AND

The mounting locations are in the same plane on the body end and the crosslink end

AND

The mounting holes and widths and tapers and stud lengths are the same.

there should not be a problem

But I think @townsend answered your question.

Yes, center to center looks good.The size of the ball joint stud looks bigger, but that may just be the pic. I have to check it tonight.

-
Back