Need help with Kevko oil pickup!

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I'll tell ya it's always something! :BangHead: I'm installing a Kevko M302 oil pan on 360 block with a windage tray. The Kevko pickup has a tab that I asumme is supposed to mount to the Main bolt? The problem is that the windage is in the way:
20200413_162510_resized.jpg

So that's ok (I think) I'll just remove the windage and cut a clearance hole it, well then I find out the mounting hole is way to small to fit over the ARP main stud!
20200413_163350_resized.jpg

Before I just cut off this stupid tab off the the pickup, does anyone have another idea?

Drill the hole bigger in the pickup tab...
Not sure that would work the main nut is taller the the factory bolt head so it might not line up, and that is what was intended to drill and tapped a bolt in the head bolt?

I just talked to Josh at Kevko and although he would have liked it if left the tab on since the stock didn't have the tab he guessed it would be ok to cut it off. He also told me that there should be a place to mount it on a stock main bolt, but I've never seen this? Has anyone else?
I'm also going to use lock tight to be sure it doesn't move!

I put a Kevco pan and pickup on a 340 I built for a customer around 2 years ago.
That pan has a crank scraper, and really doesn’t require a windage tray.

What if you drilled a hole in the windage put a bolt through the hold then a nut then the pickup mounting tab then another nut?

With a cut off wheel and some lock tight I installed the ***** and the pan is on. Now I have just put the engine back in the car!

On mine I cut the tab off, moved it to line up with one of the windage tray studs and welded it back on. Then ran a brush down the pickup to make sure it was still free of debris. I also tweaked the pickup a little when I did that so it was spaced properly off the bottom of the pan.

The crank scraper on that pan is just a generic fit and not particularly tight to the crank, so it won’t work nearly as well as one specifically fit like a true scraper would need to be. So I wanted to keep the windage tray.

I ran into the same problem, I just removed my windage tray entirely because the engine was already installed in the car (I was replacing the bent-up stock pan before going to a track day event) and I didn't feel like dealing with it. However all I did was bend that tab on the Kevko pickup over and ever so slightly bend the pickup tube itself (VERY CAREFULLY) so the hole in the tab lined up with one of the main cap bolts that has the small threaded hole in it for the windage tray and just reused one of the tiny windage tray bolts with some loc-tite. That was about 3000 miles ago and it seems to be holding up fine.

I thought about removing the tab but that pickup tube is quite a bit longer and heavier than the stock piece I was worried it would eventually crack where it threads into the oil pump.

Many of these parts need to be massaged to fit correctly. In a perfect world you wouldn't need to modify anything but everyone uses a different combination of parts and the fit is always different.

I remember the first time I had to hammer some clearance into an exhaust header...almost killed me to think of doing it. Now? No big deal...

Many of these parts need to be massaged to fit correctly. In a perfect world you wouldn't need to modify anything but everyone uses a different combination of parts and the fit is always different.

I remember the first time I had to hammer some clearance into an exhaust header...almost killed me to think of doing it. Now? No big deal...

AFTERMARKET PARTS = HOTRODDING 101

-
Back