need help with my 4 speed tranny

-

Tobin_74_Duster

Mopar_Or_No_Car
Reaction score
hey im new here so i hope im posting this in the rite spot but im building my 74 duster and its an original 318 automatic but i have a c body 4 speed tranny. my question is whats goin on if my bell housing fits the block but the tranny doesn't fit the bell housing is there an adapter im missing or something please let me know thank you....

Did you check to see if the bearing retainer hole in the bellhousing is the same as the bearing retainer size on the transmission? There are 2 sizes that it could be; 4.35 or 4.80 (unless it is an overdrive, which it probably is not since you said C-body). Sounds like maybe you have a 4.35" bellhousing and a 4.8" transmission. Or do you mean the bolt holes don't line up?

yea i have the overdrive tranny and its kinda nerrow and more skinny then the ones i remember comin with the cars.. so basicly its a newer tranny with an older bell housing? the tranny bolts on the top dont match the ones on the bell housing they're more narrow

You're going to have to get an overdrive bellhousing because the O/D's bearing retainer size is 5.125. The 833 O/D is basically the same as the regular 833 except for the O/D part. It should be the same case as the old 833. The newer 5.125" O/D bellhousing shouldn't be too hard to come by for a small block. Are you sure it's a C-body trans? How many shifter mounting locations does it have? And welcome to the site by the way.

Isn't the tailshaft too long on that trans? The a-body 4spds have a short tailshaft so the shifter lines up with the hump.

100_0239.jpg

Tobin , glad you found the site ( this is Steve) . The bell housing bolt pattern does not look right to me . The trans is definitely the OD trans . You can make a bracket to move the shifter to make this work in an A-body ( Bigblockdart.com , in the tech section has the plans ) . Good luck on your project !!

Steve

The bell housing in the picture is for a truck transmission. It will not mate to your tranny. The tranny is either an OD unit or someone has the 3/4 shift arm on upside down, from a B or E body, etc, not an A body.

Russ.

How much power are you going to be putting through this trans? The O/D's are not known for their strength. It looks like maybe you would be better off to go to a swap meet and pick up a complete A-body 4 speed with a bellhousing and linkage because you're going to need a different bellhousing anyway and you're going to have to either buy linkage or make it.

Here is a link to the B/E body trans conversion to A-body. http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml

The bellhousing you have is for trucks with the new process 435 trans, or the "granny gear" trans as some call it. Your transmission is also out of a truck but is a NP833 and is a overdrive unit. Take note of the loose bolts on the tailshaft housing, did you take them loose or were they like that? Better check it out good before going to the trouble of putting it in the car.

-
Back