Need help with my A57 69 cuda !!

-

addict4christ

Reaction score
Ok guys, as you know i purchased a 69 barracuda last week which i thought was an A57 car, i have no fender tag, and only part of the build sheet,
When i started talking to the guy about getting a fender tag made, he has infomed me that he thinks my car is cloned from a A53 car.
Reason being that everything we have found in our research leads to a conclusion that all A57 cars were made after December 13 or thereafter.
My car was built early in the first week of production , i am attaching a bulletin that we found on a website that is dated December 13th 68 to the dealers, that the A56 and A57 cudas were now available for production.
I am going to try and attach a copy of it on this thread.
If you have any info on this subject please get it to me ASAP.
pib_8.jpg

Also i will be listing the car on ebay Monday.
Any help or comments are welcome and appriciated.
Blessings, Frank

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the cuda340 & cuda383 package were available from the beginning of the 1969 model year. I do know that the cuda440 was a mid-year introduction with the first batch being tagged as C01 (Dec 68) although their actual build date varied as they were a "run".

Attached are a couple of photos of a 69 Barracuda sales brochure, and in it, there are both cuda340/383 models. Since it is the only 1969 brochure I have seen avail. it seems unlikely that they would have offered the models in the brochure but not produced them for half a year. This brochure does not list the 440 as being optional or available.

Grant

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

according to the document you provided dated dec 13 1968 stating that the "A57" 383 package was now available would seem to imply that production had begun and inventory levels were now sufficient to meet the projected dealer demand

Are you saying the first week of 69 production?

What is the build date of your car?

I don't have any of the info with the build date on it. but my date codes are all somewhere between, july and early august 1968 which is the begging of the build year.

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the cuda340 & cuda383 package were available from the beginning of the 1969 model year. I do know that the cuda440 was a mid-year introduction with the first batch being tagged as C01 (Dec 68) although their actual build date varied as they were a "run".

Attached are a couple of photos of a 69 Barracuda sales brochure, and in it, there are both cuda340/383 models. Since it is the only 1969 brochure I have seen avail. it seems unlikely that they would have offered the models in the brochure but not produced them for half a year. This brochure does not list the 440 as being optional or available.

Grant

Do you know if the A57 had the 383-S emblem on the front fender/
Because mine does, I was under the impression that they didn't also, most formula s cars has the little S applique on the tail panel , mine does not.
I know alot of things can happen in 40 years to a car.......
Any help is appriciated.
Thanks for your input,
Frank

according to the document you provided dated dec 13 1968 stating that the "A57" 383 package was now available would seem to imply that production had begun and inventory levels were now sufficient to meet the projected dealer demand

That makes since, but when i read it i thought it said, are available for order, for some reason i just assumed that meant ordered then built.
Maybe you have a good point there !!!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings, Frank

I just don't see someone doing a clone of a Cuda 383 from a 383 Formula S.

Maybe if your car was restored I would question it, but your car isn't. I mean look at the hood stripes and lower body stripes…. They have been on there long enough for rust through.

The Cuda package is referenced here, dated July 2 1968.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/PIBs/1969/PIB 1 p1.jpg

I just don't see someone doing a clone of a Cuda 383 from a 383 Formula S.

Maybe if your car was restored I would question it, but your car isn't. I mean look at the hood stripes and lower body stripes…. They have been on there long enough for rust through.

The Cuda package is referenced here, dated July 2 1968.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/PIBs/1969/PIB 1 p1.jpg

Hey i'm with you man, believe me i want it to be a true A57 car, you know i will be placing it for sale soon, but i don't want to misrepresent it to anybody.
And therefore i would like to get to the bottom of it, that's why i am asking you guys, and you guys are alot of help thanks.
Frank

Hey i'm with you man, believe me i want it to be a true A57 car, you know i will be placing it for sale soon, but i don't want to misrepresent it to anybody.
And therefore i would like to get to the bottom of it, that's why i am asking you guys, and you guys are alot of help thanks.
Frank

Wow!!!!! That bulletin gives me new hope, i owe you a coke !!! LOL !!!
Thanks

Dig around for another build sheet and post a scan on the one you have.

Pull your seats out. Pull your carpet up….. Dig Dig Dig.

Do you know if the A57 had the 383-S emblem on the front fender/
Because mine does, I was under the impression that they didn't also, most formula s cars has the little S applique on the tail panel , mine does not.
I know alot of things can happen in 40 years to a car.......
Any help is appriciated.
Thanks for your input,
Frank

An A57 car would not have a 383-S emblem on the fender as they were different models. The only thing on the front fender should be the Barracude script fith the fish below that. The only engine call out would be above the lower stripe between the front wheeel opening and the door. I also have a 340 formula S that has the upper stripe with the 340 call out and the only thing on the front fender is the Baeeacude script.

An A57 car would not have a 383-S emblem on the fender as they were different models. The only thing on the front fender should be the Barracude script fith the fish below that. The only engine call out would be above the lower stripe between the front wheeel opening and the door. I also have a 340 formula S that has the upper stripe with the 340 call out and the only thing on the front fender is the Baeeacude script.

Correct…. Sorry I never saw that question.

No 383-S or 340-S callout emblem on a "Cuda" package car.

Your engine call out would be a big sticker behind the front tires.

This further confuses things……..

It is entirely possible that you have a Formula S and the original owner had the scoops and stripes added….. After seeing one.

But we can't know.......

Correct…. Sorry I never saw that question.

No 383-S or 340-S callout emblem on a "Cuda" package car.

Your engine call out would be a big sticker behind the front tires.

This further confuses things……..

It is entirely possible that you have a Formula S and the original owner had the scoops and stripes added….. After seeing one.

But we can't know.......

Well........... mine has both, but it does not have the S applique on the tailpanel ????
And as you stated, before the stripes on the bottom of the car are old enough that they outlasted the rust in the lower quarters,
So i guess without all of the build sheet or the orginal fender tag, it looks like i am leaning more towards the fact that it could be a Formula S cloned to a A57 unless i find out for sure, don't want to mislead anyone, when i sell it, but think it still should do good. Yet i still have a small ray of hope that it is something wierd that mopar did, and i can find some proof, if not than it is what it is.
Thanks guys,
Blessings, Frank

After looking over your previously posted pics in more detail. I am seeing indications that the exterior may have been resprayed at some time. In the trunk lip, there is a definited edge between the body spray and the trunk channel.

Although the fading on the hood and cowl stripes is consistent, the lower front and rear valence should be matte black as well. The ability to verify the originality of the paint and these cuda exclusive stripes is probably your only way of assuring it's a cuda.

The car is well-optioned, with higher end interior, dual chrome mirrors, and fold down rear seat. Although this is not a surety, many cudas were lower optioned ala. 69 Swinger340s.

Although the tail panel does not show evidence of the Formula S medallion, at the same time, the painted upper and lower stripes are black, and if I am correct this was always red, so it has been refinished.

Let us know if your bcast sheet search is successful.

Grant

After looking over your previously posted pics in more detail. I am seeing indications that the exterior may have been resprayed at some time. In the trunk lip, there is a definited edge between the body spray and the trunk channel.

Although the fading on the hood and cowl stripes is consistent, the lower front and rear valence should be matte black as well. The ability to verify the originality of the paint and these cuda exclusive stripes is probably your only way of assuring it's a cuda.

The car is well-optioned, with higher end interior, dual chrome mirrors, and fold down rear seat. Although this is not a surety, many cudas were lower optioned ala. 69 Swinger340s.

Although the tail panel does not show evidence of the Formula S medallion, at the same time, the painted upper and lower stripes are black, and if I am correct this was always red, so it has been refinished.

Let us know if your bcast sheet search is successful.

Grant

Very good observation, one question, the piece of broadcast sheet that i did find with the vin # on it, has the V78 option which is accent stripe delete.
I know that was required for A57 cars, but i guess you could have done it on a formula car if you wanted ?

I am supposed to be talking with the original owners brother tonight, he knows the car since 1976 when his brother that owned the car brought it hear to Georgia in 1976 , and his sister was the original owner, so i believe he can shed some light on the matter, didn't have time to look for another broadcast sheet today.
Thanks for all your help.
Blessings, Frank

Very good observation, one question, the piece of broadcast sheet that i did find with the vin # on it, has the V78 option which is accent stripe delete.
I know that was required for A57 cars, but i guess you could have done it on a formula car if you wanted ?

I am supposed to be talking with the original owners brother tonight, he knows the car since 1976 when his brother that owned the car brought it hear to Georgia in 1976 , and his sister was the original owner, so i believe he can shed some light on the matter, didn't have time to look for another broadcast sheet today.
Thanks for all your help.
Blessings, Frank

One othert question, was the lower stripe on the cuda cars and the valance as you spoke of , painted or taped ?

Stripes are decals, valences are painted. Not sure on the V78, as I dont have the orig. bcast for mine, and that code is not on the fender tag. SInce the cuda package always had the stripe (AFAIK), I am not sure why they would need a stripe delete code. I have seen numerous 340-S with the logitudinal stripe w/callouts high on the body line, so maybe this is what is referred to?

Grant

That is what it is refered too the accent stripe up high has to be deleted.

-
Back