Need help with my daily driver!

-

D-rock

Reaction score
Hey guys, this has nothing to do with my project car, but rather, my daily driver. I have a problem that's got me kinda stumped between a few things that could be wrong.

The engine has excessive fan noise, really bad, but only when the a/c is on. If i start it without the ac on, it seems fine, but when I turn the ac on (or if it was already on when i started it) is seems like the fan clutch locks up and stays that way till I shut the car off. The tranny also seems to slip a bit with the ac on, but not off.

I'm pretty sure its the fan clutch, I just don't know why it's only acting up with ac on.

This is on an 02 Durrango with a 5.7, auto, and 2WD.

Check the freon level on the AC. I had a Blazer that felt like it had tranny problems and it turned out to be the AC unit cycling on and off too fast because it was low on coolant. I am not sure about the fan noise though. Most of the new cars i have dealt with have a pair of electric fans. When the AC is on they are kicked onto high speed. Usually they run at a lower speed with the AC off.

yea, this one has both a mechanical fan and an electric fan. The tranny feels ok when the ac is not on, could just be load on the engine making it feel like its slipping when the ac is on. I just don't know why the mechanical fan would only lock up when the ac is on.

Raise the hood and stick you ear in to find out what is making the noise, it may be the compressor. I assume you are talking about the engine fan and not the A/C&heater blower electric fan.

yea, the engine fan. I'll try that, but it really doesn't sound like a compressor. Sounds like a lot of air moving......

-
Back